Retirement Benefits

aawdi

Dear sir;

I am a Canadian who left Canada around 20 years ago. I only worked and paid Canadian tax for 3 years.
Now I want to return back to Canada to retire.

The question is:

Can I pay a lump sum to Canada Tax so I can be receive retirement benefits

Were you supposed to pay taxes and didn't?

If you made at least one contribution to the CPP (Canada Pension Plan) you are generally able to collect benefits (the amount may not be much if you only contributed for three years). But if you owe taxes, not sure you could do that til they are straightened out. Check with Revenue Canada.

CPP would not be withheld on that basis.

Our poster is thinking there is some kind of "catch-up" lump sum contribution thatcan be made (not unlike some old pension plans).

There isn't.

But JR makes the correct point (that I should have stipulated) that even if you only contributed one year on CPP you will get 'something'. But it will be miniscule. This is not like SS, which has a minimum contribution period (40 quarters, or less depending on international afgreements) before being allowed to collect anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benefits

As a permanant resident that time,i worked in usa and paid all taxes,social security in Newyork,USA, from 1993 to march 2000.then i migrated and became canadian citizen living in canada now.
Later on my green card expired .I am now 51 years old.Please let me know how and from where can i get social security benefits or pension from USA??what would be age limit??

Canada,from the department which looks after CPP will assist you in getting SS when you are eligible. You probably need to have worked one year in canada to be eligible for US social security, so that your US quarters (likely 36) plus 1 year of Cdn work, will give you the equivalent 40 quarters for eligibility.

Thank you very much.I have been working and paying regularly cpp and all taxes in Canada since 8 years through my full time job in Toronto.
You mean i will get only canadian CPP together with us ssn or I will be eligible to get USA social security benefits separately??
when will i be eligible to get us ss??
I have proof of all usa tax returns and ss statements.

Canada,from the department which looks after CPP will assist you in getting SS when you are eligible. You probably need to have worked one year in canada to be eligible for US social security, so that your US quarters (likely 36) plus 1 year of Cdn work, will give you the equivalent 40 quarters for eligibility.

You will get CPP simply based on your work history. You will ALSO get SS based on the time you contributed in US, but only because you worked a total of 10 years combined in US and canada.

Keep the most recent SS statement, you will be eligible for the full SS calculated for you at some time when you are 66. You can take reduced SS at 62 if you don't work.

Nothing to worry about now. Start thinking about this when you hit 60 or so. The rules will be more meaningful then.

I am no expert, but I have long been led to believe that US Social Security retirement benefits for non-US citizens will not be paid outside the US. However, SS retirement benefits will be paid directly to US citizens living abroad. In my case, they are paid directly into my NZ bank account!

SS is paid to non-citizens so long as they are not livingin certain forbidden countries.

Social Security Benefits from USA.
As a permanant resident(between 1991-2000) I worked full time in usa and paid all taxes,social security in Newyork,USA, from 1993 to march 2000. Then i migrated and became canadian citizen living in canada now.
Later on my conditional green card was expired .I am now 56 years old.Please provide me mailing address/email address and application to get full informaions that how will I get social security benefits or pension from USA??what is current age limit?? Is it true that USA is planning to stop SSN benefits very soon ??