Resume of Referees with application

krprasad

Registered Users (C)
i have noticed that people who are writing recos to me have CV of atleast 35-50 pages.

if i send 10 recos, CV will be around 400 pages.

am i supposed to send complete CV of referees with my application?

Last edited by a moderator:
krprasad said:
i have noticed that people who are writing recos to me have CV of atleast 35-50 pages.

My lawyer recommended to add all complete CVs.

krprasad said:

Well, I had this question when I was filling my case.
What i did is i shortned the resume to highlight the expertise (by year & area), important acheivements and significant publications (if they have many).

On the other hand....Submitting complete resume of recommender might work against us...as some of the recent RFE had this question ....that folloing reviwer/recommender was better than you ?????!!!

You have no limitations for volume of supporting documents

I submitted all CVs for people who wrote me a letter. It turned out to be right.

I asked my referee's to give me abbreviated CV (2-3 pages). Also, preferably there should be a significant age gap between you and your reference, this way you can respond why "following reviwer/recommender was better than you"

print out from web

Sandy2000 said:
I asked my referee's to give me abbreviated CV (2-3 pages). Also, preferably there should be a significant age gap between you and your reference, this way you can respond why "following reviwer/recommender was better than you"

I just took the print out of refree's resume from their web page. I would go with the lawyer's recommendation though.

i think the comment that "recommender is better than you" is stupid, we can expect this sort of things from a government agency, i am not surprised, being from india, i know how a gov agency works.

what if i take a letter from a peer of my own age and experience, they will say "recommender acheivement is not enough to review......or some kind of BS"

ask for NIH format biosketch

There is a standard CV for all federal grants. It is usually 2 -3 pages long and it tries to make CVs in a standard format. It have good amount of information about the person as it highlights education, awards, selected major publication, grants. Things like that.

It is a standard format these days as no has time to go over 30 -50 pages resume unless it is for the job applications.

eb1doc said:
Well, I had this question when I was filling my case.
What i did is i shortned the resume to highlight the expertise (by year & area), important acheivements and significant publications (if they have many).

On the other hand....Submitting complete resume of recommender might work against us...as some of the recent RFE had this question ....that folloing reviwer/recommender was better than you ?????!!!

I have serious problems by shortening resumes of other people without their permission. That has nothing to do what USCIS wants or not but with the "respect" for somebody else work. You asked them to do you a favor by writing a reference letter and attaching a CV, then you shouldn't change their CV (which for me is a kind of literary property) without asking for permission. Better look for a short CV on their webpage or ask them for a shorter version but don't change it by yourself which is in my opinion plain wrong. (Again that has nothing to do what USCIS wants but is more a "philosophical" questions).

honkman said:
I have serious problems by shortening resumes of other people without their permission. That has nothing to do what USCIS wants or not but with the "respect" for somebody else work. You asked them to do you a favor by writing a reference letter and attaching a CV, then you shouldn't change their CV (which for me is a kind of literary property) without asking for permission. Better look for a short CV on their webpage or ask them for a shorter version but don't change it by yourself which is in my opinion plain wrong. (Again that has nothing to do what USCIS wants but is more a "philosophical" questions).

Honkman Uncle ...Please don't presume things!
Your serious objection is valid...........but In all resumes which were shortned ...prior to sending to BCIS permissions were taken from respective recommender. One recommeder from industry included some summer jobs of early 1990s in his resume which i thought was not helping me so we had chat he told me to do corrections and thats it!

eb1doc said:
Honkman Uncle ...Please don't presume things!
Your serious objection is valid...........but In all resumes which were shortned ...prior to sending to BCIS permissions were taken from respective recommender. One recommeder from industry included some summer jobs of early 1990s in his resume which i thought were not helping me so we had chat he told me to do corrections and thats it!
You might be ideal person so are we!!!

From your first post it sounded like you did this without asking them.

choose 2-3 with strongest background

I only submitted 2-3 cv out of 9 recommendation letters. my case was approved in 18 days qat NSC in Sep 2005.

niwdiver said:
I only submitted 2-3 cv out of 9 recommendation letters. my case was approved in 18 days qat NSC in Sep 2005.
congratulations for your case success! but to ensure it again and again..i will stick to sending resumes of all possible recommenders....unless they detail themselves in the letter very well........

krprasad said:
i think the comment that "recommender is better than you" is stupid, we can expect this sort of things from a government agency, i am not surprised, being from india, i know how a gov agency works.

what if i take a letter from a peer of my own age and experience, they will say "recommender acheivement is not enough to review......or some kind of BS"

Thats correct! it is really stupid argument from officres sometime...but our job is to avoid such invitation for such comments.

Annoymonous said it right..getting NIH biosketch is best idea...they are perfect compact resumes.

like anonymous suggested.

ask refs for NIH format Biosketch - which one uses while applying for grants as a PI, coPI or even a consultant. so everyone in academia has one. 3-4 pages max.