Residing in home country

greencarder

Registered Users (C)
I am curious if any of you can help me figure out a difficult situation I am curently facing. I made a decision to go back home after things got much better and after the government had enacted many reforms to protect my group (a minority group). I also got a very good position in my home country and will try to spend the rest of my life there. However, I do not want to give up my green card just in case the extremists in my country take over. I am not sure about my situation. I am planning to visit the States every 6 months so that I do not lose my green card. I have one more year before I am eligible for citizenship and I can not apply while I am there because they specify that I should be a resident in a state for 3 months.I can not wait another year here because this will make me lose the position. Any thoughts?

greencarder said:
I am curious if any of you can help me figure out a difficult situation I am curently facing. I made a decision to go back home after things got much better and after the government had enacted many reforms to protect my group (a minority group). I also got a very good position in my home country and will try to spend the rest of my life there. However, I do not want to give up my green card just in case the extremists in my country take over. I am not sure about my situation. I am planning to visit the States every 6 months so that I do not lose my green card. I have one more year before I am eligible for citizenship and I can not apply while I am there because they specify that I should be a resident in a state for 3 months.I can not wait another year here because this will make me lose the position. Any thoughts?

Well you dont have to give up your G.C. If you plan to come back every 6 months, make sure you have some "ties" to U.S or you will lose your status. I would suggest you get your U.S Citizenship and then do what you want to do.

Well, once you become USC that position may be gone or that position may be only available for native citizen. Also, I am not sure if your frequent ( every 6 mo ) visit will raise red flag when conducting your CZ interview. Is your GC an AS6 or refugee based ?

This may be a hard and big decision you need to make in your life and sometimes you may not get both. If USC is eligible for that position, I may suggest you to apply for it after you become USC, just like Want said. Or there may be other incoming wisdom from this forum.

GrassRoot said:
Well, once you become USC that position may be gone or that position may be only available for native citizen. Also, I am not sure if your frequent ( every 6 mo ) visit will raise red flag when conducting your CZ interview. Is your GC an AS6 or refugee based ?

This may be a hard and big decision you need to make in your life and sometimes you may not get both. If USC is eligible for that position, I may suggest you to apply for it after you become USC, just like Want said. Or there may be other incoming wisdom from this forum.

My green card was based on an asylum case and the position is in an international institute there, so it will be hard to lose it. I do not see myself working in a different position there because of the good fit, the salary, and the protection it provides. I am worried that if I do not accept this position I may not be able to ever reside there and frankly I want to. Thanks for the input

wantmygcnow said:
Well you dont have to give up your G.C. If you plan to come back every 6 months, make sure you have some "ties" to U.S or you will lose your status. I would suggest you get your U.S Citizenship and then do what you want to do.
Well, I am eligible to apply in Feb 2007 and my position will start in October. Can I change my address to my aunt's and say that I am a resident in her state? I can come during the summer and I can say in the interview that I travelled for less than 6 month but i still have my ties with the States. I do not want to lie but is there a way i can fix this?

greencarder said:
Well, I am eligible to apply in Feb 2007 and my position will start in October. Can I change my address to my aunt's and say that I am a resident in her state? I can come during the summer and I can say in the interview that I travelled for less than 6 month but i still have my ties with the States. I do not want to lie but is there a way i can fix this?

Look greencarder. Many will die to have your status of a GC holder. THe fact of the matter is, what is important to you? YOur status in the United States or the position you are coveting? If you really think the position is worth risking your status in U.S, then go for it. Why all the questions? The law states a PR can't be out of the country for more than 6 months and if he does he needs a Rentry Permit. Also the residency status is broken.

get a reentry permit (you don't really need one but just to be safe) and come back every <6 months (two trips for you until feb'07) I think you will be ok at the interview cuz the reqs are as follows:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence
-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
-has resided within a state or district for at least three months

samoel said:
get a reentry permit (you don't really need one but just to be safe) and come back every <6 months (two trips for you until feb'07) I think you will be ok at the interview cuz the reqs are as follows:

-has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence
-has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
-has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
-has resided within a state or district for at least three months

I was curious about the very last requirement. If I left the country for more than 5 months, does this make me lose my "residency." Do they mean that I have to be physically present 3 months before applying? Or do they mean that I have to prove that I have lived in this district 3 months or more. I am so confused about their language. Also, i wanted to clarify something you said. Does the re-entry permit serve as a way to help me return? I am not sure what purpose would it serve. Thank you for your response anyway.

greencarder said:
I was curious about the very last requirement. If I left the country for more than 5 months, does this make me lose my "residency." Do they mean that I have to be physically present 3 months before applying? Or do they mean that I have to prove that I have lived in this district 3 months or more. I am so confused about their language. Also, i wanted to clarify something you said. Does the re-entry permit serve as a way to help me return? I am not sure what purpose would it serve. Thank you for your response anyway.

Rentry permit is required for any stays over 6 months. Anyone can use Rentry Permit, for ever, short stays but usually it is made for people who want to be out of the country for more than 6 months.

greencarder said:
These are reqs for getting citizenship.. you don't loose GC by not fullfilling any of them..
I think if you been in one district for three months during your residency you should be fine plus you have to stay here while the N400 is pending (more or less 3 months) so either way you're covered.
If it was me I would get the RP just in case something happens and you get stuck in your country for more than 6 months ...it doesn't take long to get it nowadays and it's a little peace of mind but you don't have to..
Another thing you should not forget is that since you are a US resident you have to pay IRS taxes doesn't matter where you make the money...

samoel said:
These are reqs for getting citizenship.. you don't loose GC by not fullfilling any of them..
I think if you been in one district for three months during your residency you should be fine plus you have to stay here while the N400 is pending (more or less 3 months) so either way you're covered.
If it was me I would get the RP just in case something happens and you get stuck in your country for more than 6 months ...it doesn't take long to get it nowadays and it's a little peace of mind but you don't have to..
Another thing you should not forget is that since you are a US resident you have to pay IRS taxes doesn't matter where you make the money...

Are you aware of the steps: Do they ask me for fingerprints then interview me during a period of 3 months? Should I just take 3 months off during the summer and go through the whole thing or does it depend on the state?

greencarder said:
Are you aware of the steps: Do they ask me for fingerprints then interview me during a period of 3 months? Should I just take 3 months off during the summer and go through the whole thing or does it depend on the state?
I'm not sure about the process ....you can check the citizenship forum to find out more...

greencarder said:

You got to make up your mind what is most important for you, when you will be done with that your second option will get lost itself. Anyway, I just wanted to warn you => by going back to your home country from where you've claimed fear in first place you DO jepardizing your ability to get your CZ here (as example SEE thread by eshaan27: Citizenship Denied: Please help me !!! (in this forum))

Last edited by a moderator:
Greencarder,

You are very courageous to come on this forum and demand answers to such questions. What you are trying to do is ULAWFUL. That is why there are specific immigration laws in place that prohibit such conduct by a beneficiary. You are maintaning a residence in your COP; which first of all raises questions about the validity of your asylum claim, and secondly; obviously, excludes you from maintaining a continuous presence, i.e. residence, in the US.

Having said that; I know of several people who have done that, and have, by some miraculous luck, been able to obtain US citizenship. But to do that requires "lying" to an immigration officer; an act which I believe everyone on this forum will discourage you from; and an act which automatically raises another question, which we on this forum cannot answer for you: 1)will you be caught? and if so, 2)what will be the consequences?

You should consider the 'totality of the circumstances' when making such a decision, which is what a judge would do if you are caught maintaining a residence in your COP, and placed in removal proceedings.

Good luck!

annaraka said:
Greencarder,
You are very courageous to come on this forum and demand answers to such questions. What you are trying to do is ULAWFUL. That is why there are specific immigration laws in place that prohibit such conduct by a beneficiary. You are maintaning a residence in your COP; which first of all raises questions about the validity of your asylum claim, and secondly; obviously, excludes you from maintaining a continuous presence, i.e. residence, in the US.
Having said that; I know of several people who have done that, and have, by some miraculous luck, been able to obtain US citizenship. But to do that requires "lying" to an immigration officer; an act which I believe everyone on this forum will discourage you from; and an act which automatically raises another question, which we on this forum cannot answer for you: 1)will you be caught? and if so, 2)what will be the consequences?
You should consider the 'totality of the circumstances' when making such a decision, which is what a judge would do if you are caught maintaining a residence in your COP, and placed in removal proceedings.
Good luck!
I agree..
unless he wanna go back to participate on the rebuilding of his naitive country after major change..(example:Iraq,sudan,ukraine,any country of former yougoslavia..)...otherwise he need to maintain his residency in the U. states and became a citizen.​

Yep... it didn't take long for the paranoia to start.
WTF law (please be specific) do you break if you go to work outside US with GC and keep your status as a resident here pay taxes, US bank accounts, bills, US mailing address, not staying out of US for more than 6 months Please tell me one law???
They even provide N470 if you work overseas for a US based private company or an org that US is a member of.

His asylum was granted 8-10 years got his GC probably more than 3 years ago (not a month ago and calling the airline) and the freagging world has changed a lot, people die or get killed, govrm do change, regimes do get overthrown. CIS knows that otherwise would be no asylum LPRs lets say from ex-commie countries or from Iraq etc.

samoel said:
Yep... it didn't take long for the paranoia to start.
WTF law (please be specific) do you break if you go to work outside US with GC and keep your status as a resident here pay taxes, US bank accounts, bills, US mailing address, not staying out of US for more than 6 months Please tell me one law???
They even provide N470 if you work overseas for a US based private company or an org that US is a member of.

His asylum was granted 8-10 years got his GC probably more than 3 years ago (not a month ago and calling the airline) and the freagging world has changed a lot, people die or get killed, govrm do change, regimes do get overthrown. CIS knows that otherwise would be no asylum LPRs lets say from ex-commie countries or from Iraq etc.
Thanks samoel. I honestly do not think that I am doing anything illegal as some members suggested. I guess this forum has been very difficult when it comes to accepting non-traditional ideas. I already made the decision and accepted the position.

goodluck to u greencarder :)

I believe people have different point of view. and honestly .. each individual case is different. I'm still amazed how some people always think asylee who going back to the country of origin "may have a false claim" etc etc. U made ur choice. as long as u are not breaking the law, Even God will have mercy on u. God Bless :)

Miss.PinK said:
I believe people have different point of view. and honestly .. each individual case is different. I'm still amazed how some people always think asylee who going back to the country of origin "may have a false claim" etc etc. U made ur choice. as long as u are not breaking the law, Even God will have mercy on u. God Bless :)
congrats miss pink on your recently acquired green card and thanks for your encouragement.

thanks

thanks. pls keep us updated how it goes. coz' If I end up married with one of my folks (indo guy). and he wants me to go back to my country. I might end up in the same situation like u. (don't wanna lose my gc but don't wanna lose my guy too :eek: ) ... But for sure I wanna get my citizenship first. And yez, my asylum case is genuine. It's just annoyed me when seeing comment about "false claim" "fake asylee" bla bla bla .. whenever that asylee mention about going back to their country. I personally scared to live in my country. but for certain reason I might reconsider. although I am hoping, he's the one that moved down here. but most "guy" in my country still think "traditionally" .. where they think that "the wife has to follow the hubby" .. bwehhehehe .. well I don't mind if I really really love the person. I would love to moved wherever he may live. :rolleyes: