Residency on EAD

Regular Visitor

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I am assuming that one can apply and begin one\'s medical residency based on an EAD.

Is my assumption correct?

Thanks for replying.

No Title

Depends under what category you got the EAD. If it was employment based then you have to stay with same employer, if it was under extraordinary research then you can join residency but you need to show you are doing research and that\'s easy anyway.

No Title

Hi:

Thanks for replying.

Would you please take time to clarify the following assumptions?

A.
The residency applicant has been on H4 visa, and the EAD will be obtained via I-485 of the spouse. The spouse (primary applicant) is not getting any EAD, and is staying with the same employer. So I believe that the applicant will be OK with an EAD status resident.

B.
Can the residency applicant become an observatory prior to getting EAD?

C.
Can the Match Making (NRMP etc.) begin with or prior to getting an EAD? (EAD expected in 6-8 weeks)?

Thanks again.

No Title

A. You can start your residency on EAD

B. You can do obserevorship pror to getting EAD

C. You will need EAD before you start residency, no problems with NRMP

No Title

i had an EAD after doing masters in public health, the univ of arkansas at lil rock didnt accept it....i had to get the H1. so be wary.

No Title

hi this is nazim doing masters in public health,can you please help me
how to proceed from f1 to h1 residency?do international graduates in
m.p.h have jobs in public health for convertion to h1 without going into residency.

No Title

Can I get back to H1-B after my 485-based EAD expires, if I passed step 3 and meet the H-1B requirement?

No Title

I think this immigration site is best of all the immigration sites I have surfed. I was looking to find about doing a residency on EAD after approval under extraordinary alien category. I have asked this question to several people but everyone has a different answer. Few more question I have is that does INS ask for RFE such as the employer letter for people applying for the adjustment of status under this category? Is the approval time shorter for extraordinary alien category?

No Title

No. EAD is work permit for persons applying for immigrant status. H-1B is a nonimmigrant visa. Once you apply for immigrant status you cannot go back and apply for nonimmigrant status! You may renew your EAD annually until you get GC. You do not need H-1B.

No Title

EB category is not as important as country of origin. Countries other than India and China get approved faster. You need employment letter in every category. If you have not sent it with initial application you may get RFE. However a person on ISN board recently got approved without medical exam. He did not get RFE either. I guess it depends on your luck.