residency in state before/after applying for naturalization

sram1969

Registered Users (C)
I got my Green card in Boston on Dec 1st 2008. I will not be leaving Boston for any trips until May 2013. I want to move back to India with my kids in May 2013, so they can start school in India in June 2013. I will retain my appartment in Boston until I get my citizenship. Here are my questions:

1. Should I be physically present in the U.S in June,July and Aug 2013 if I want to apply for citizenship in Sept 2013?

2. Is it good enough if I leave in May and come to Boston in Sept and submit my application?

3. Can I go back to India after applying and come to Boston only for the fingerprint and interview?

4. How long will the process take and will it be problem?

Thanks for your help!

3. Can I go back to India after applying and come to Boston only for the fingerprint and interview?

That is a strong sign of somebody who has already relocated abroad and is no longer residing in the US, and is likely to get you denied. Remember that you are supposed to maintain continuous residence all the way through the process until the oath.

If US citizenship is important to you, I would suggest that you postpone your relocation plans until May 2014, instead of May 2013, so you can complete the citizenship process before relocating.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a strong sign of somebody who has already relocated abroad and is no longer residing in the US, and is likely to get you denied. Remember that you are supposed to maintain continuous residence all the way through the process until the oath.

If US citizenship is important to you, I would suggest that you postpone your relocation plans until May 2014, instead of May 2013, so you can complete the citizenship process before relocating.

I also wonder why so many people still want US citizenship if they want to go back to their home country
permanently. Some insurance in case the home country start a civil war?

What if I go without Citizenship and surrender my GC? Is there a post that shows what I'm losing here? Is it wise getting this close to citizenship and letting it go?

I'd love to live India and I'm guessing if I go with citizenship I can come back if needed or if my kids are unable to settle in India. Also I'm guessing there are other adaventages like SS etc. I would like to know more about this to make a decision. Thanks again!