residency duration and J1 Waiver

drvic

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I just came across this forum by accident, and it really grabbed my attention!

Very informative indeed...

I'm on J1 visa and starting my fellowship next year in July 2008. so applying for a waiver job is still a bit distant in the future for me (fellowship to finish in June 2011 - who knows how things might change by then...), but I'm trying to learn about the process now...

My specific question is: I got a year of my residency waived off ( I'm doing 2yrs instead of 3 years - with permission of the respective American Board of course) in view of my having done residency in my home country. Will that affect my waiver application in the future in any way?

any inputs from the learned folks on the forums would be appreciated

Thanks

drvic

Two Year Residency & J-1 Waiver

You should not have any problem. For IMGs not doing fellowship (and applying for a J-1 waiver job with two years of IM residency - One year waived by ABIM) can face a problem because at least 15 to 20 states require IMGs to complete three years of 'training' in any accredited program to obtain permanent license. You do not get waiver unless you have a permanent license or you show your eligibility for permanent license. The requirements for the IMGs to obtain a permanent license for all the states can be found at the AMA's website - IMG Section.

Since you will be pursuing a fellowship program you will complete three years (and more) of training in more than one accredited program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on J1 visa and starting my fellowship next year in July 2008. so applying for a waiver job is still a bit distant in the future for me (fellowship to finish in June 2011 - who knows how things might change by then...), but I'm trying to learn about the process now...

Never too early to learn about this stuff.

My specific question is: I got a year of my residency waived off ( I'm doing 2yrs instead of 3 years - with permission of the respective American Board of course) in view of my having done residency in my home country. Will that affect my waiver application in the future in any way?

No problem.

There is nothing in the waiver rules that even requires you to be board eligible (which you are if the board waived the year). The particular state might require you to be board eligible for sponsorship, but since you are, no problem.

Thank You hadron and luzi for your prompt feedback. Hope to learn more from you all in the future. Keep up the good work!