Residence address for Citizenship applicaion

sunny0001

We live in Atlanta GA and my son, a college student, lives in college dorm in New York. He holds GA driving license as being a college student, he do not need to get a NY license.

Question: For his N-400 application, which address shall we put...his dorm address in New York or permanent address in Atlanta, GA.

We live in Atlanta GA and my son, a college student, lives in college dorm in New York. He holds GA driving license as being a college student, he do not need to get a NY license.

Question: For his N-400 application, which address shall we put...his dorm address in New York or permanent address in Atlanta, GA.

Assuming you are still supporting your son financially, he may list either one of the two addresses, the NY address or the GA address, when filing N-400.
It is his choice.

See p. 23 of "A guide to naturalization" (USCIS publication M-476):

"Students may apply for naturalization either where they go to school or where their family lives (if they are still financially dependent on their parents)."
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/M-476.pdf

Thanks Baikal3. My question was more towards Part 4 - Information on Residences. In my sons case do I need to mention all the addresses (his dorm addresses in NYC) even if we want him to file here in GA.

It would be safest to list both the NY dorm address and the GA home address in the address history section, but put the GA address in the #1 spot if GA is what he plans to use a base for the N-400. Both addresses would have the dates as _____ to present, so at the interview he can explain the situation if necessary.

If he only wants to list one address, it should be the GA address because that's his permanent address and is where his driver's license is from. In the work/study history section his current studying at a school in NY would be listed, so the interviewer will be aware of him studying in NY and can ask for the NY address if they want to know it.

Note that using GA as a base would involve travelling to from NY to GA for the interview and oath, which could interrupt his studies and cause him to miss an important exam, so he should think very carefully about that. It may be better to delay the application until March, in order to increase the chances of the interview and oath occurring in the summer break.