Rescheduling the oath

olgat

Registered Users (C)
Hi, has anyone gone through rescheduling the oath due not being able to attend?

My situation: just received an appt letter for oath ceremony on June 21 in San Francisco. I can make it however I won't be able to receive the passport in time for my travel overseas (end of June - beginning of August). I already have the ticket and cannot cancel it.
Looks like I'll need to reschedule the oath, but am concerned if it's going to delay obtaining the citizenship by a long time.

Another question for those who went through the oath: what happens with the GC? I understand that we have to surrender it, but what if you don't bring it with you (say you lost it), do you they reschedule the ceremony? Just being curious...

thanks!

olgat said:
My situation: just received an appt letter for oath ceremony on June 21 in San Francisco. I can make it however I won't be able to receive the passport in time for my travel overseas (end of June - beginning of August). I already have the ticket and cannot cancel it.
Looks like I'll need to reschedule the oath, but am concerned if it's going to delay obtaining the citizenship by a long time.

My advice to you is "dont reschedule your oath". You can get your passport in just one day.

Another question for those who went through the oath: what happens with the GC? I understand that we have to surrender it, but what if you don't bring it with you (say you lost it), do you they reschedule the ceremony?

You have to return the GC on the day of oath. There is no way that you can use it after the oath (in case you find the lost one).

AGAIN DO NOT RESCHEDULE YOUR OATH, I WOULD RECOMEND RESCHEDULING YOUR OVERSEAS TRIP IF YOU HAVE TO. IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GET THE US PASSPORT ON URGENT BASIS.

Hi, thanks for replying.

You don't explain why I shouldn't reschedule. What's the reasoning.

I can't cancel my trip since it's not a vacation or anything like it. My close relative is sick and I need to be with her.

I am considering paying for an urgent passport processing.

olgat said:
Hi, thanks for replying.

You don't explain why I shouldn't reschedule. What's the reasoning.

I can't cancel my trip since it's not a vacation or anything like it. My close relative is sick and I need to be with her.

I am considering paying for an urgent passport processing.

when is your travel date?

make an appointment to your regional passport office (and they only take appointment anyway) on the day of your oath (or next day). present your air ticket which it is within 14 days window. they will issue the passport to you on the same day or before your departure if your visiting country does not require visa for US citizens.

ocworker said:
when is your travel date?

make an appointment to your regional passport office (and they only take appointment anyway) on the day of your oath (or next day). present your air ticket which it is within 14 days window. they will issue the passport to you on the same day or before your departure if your visiting country does not require visa for US citizens.
What Ocworker suggested is the perfect choice for you man. Don't just reschedule ur oath and put yourself in the USCIS hurricane again!