Request to provide the "physical address"

PeterUS

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We have filled for my mother I-485 and I-765 (Concurrent filling). However, we have got a "Request for Initial/Additional Evidence" to provide the physical address of the residence. But we stated clearly her address in the applications. So, what's exactly the Physical Address?

Thanks!

PS: She lives with me!

USCIS requires you to provide a physical residential address on your application, not a mailbox address.

PO Box or Mail Box can be rented at a Post Office or a private business like Mail Boxes Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you live should have an actual physical address. They want this address in order to know that your mom actually lives at a physical house in the United States.

Anyone can have a PO Box. In fact the US Consulate in Montreal has a PO Box in Champlain, NY in order for persons mailing stuff from the US to the Consulate to pay domestic postage.

Well, sorry, apparently I didn't get you well in my answer. However, I have provided my house address as the mailing address for her applications. In other words, it's the house number, street name, city name, state & zip code. Is that all? Doesn't that count as a physical address?
It's the regular address that I use for mailing and receiving the bills... etc.
Thanks!

The address is requested in different places on multiple forms ... is there any address you gave anywhere on any of the immigration forms (including I-130) which isn't a genuine residential address?

The address is requested in different places on multiple forms ... is there any address you gave anywhere on any of the immigration forms (including I-130) which isn't a genuine residential address?

I have always used my original residential address... I don't have any other one to use! The odd thing that they have sent to my address all the mails including the recent one! And now they are requesting the mailing address?!!!!

Some roads have two names, and one is the "standard". Sometimes that's because it has both a numeric name (e.g. 88th street) and a regular worded name (e.g. Pacific Street), or they named the road for somebody, but the road already existed for years with another name. Maybe you used the non-standard version of the name.

Another possibility is that your correct address has North, South, East or West in the name but you omitted that part, however mail still successfully arrives at you without that part in the address because based on the zip code the postal workers know which section of the road it is.

Search for your address on Mapquest or Google maps and see what happens.

If after considering all of that you still can't figure out why they think your address is nonexistent or isn't residential, it must be their mistake so respond to them to assert your position. Include a printout of the Mapquest/Google screen showing where your place is. And of course, remember to attach a copy of the request they sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some roads have two names, and one is the "standard". Sometimes that's because it has both a numeric name (e.g. 88th street) and a regular worded name (e.g. Pacific Street), or they named the road for somebody, but the road already existed for years with another name. Maybe you used the non-standard version of the name.

Another possibility is that your correct address has North, South, East or West in the name but you omitted that part, however mail still successfully arrives at you without that part in the address because based on the zip code the postal workers know which section of the road it is.

Search for your address on Mapquest or Google maps and see what happens.

If after considering all of that you still can't figure out why they think your address is nonexistent or isn't residential, it must be their mistake so respond to them to assert your position. Include a printout of the Mapquest/Google screen showing where your place is. And of course, remember to attach a copy of the request they sent.

Thanks a lot buddy! The address is correct, I double checked it over Mapquest and Google and it doesn't have "two names". I have been living in this street for over than 10 years and I would know if it has another name!
Anyway, I'm gonna send back the reply to the USCIS with the same address! Hope it's was their mistake!

Appreciate your replies guys! Regards!

I don't know if you already sent your response back.

I was going to recommend that you might want to check with your local Post Office and actual get a letter (if possible) stating your address exist and is a valid physical location. My dad once had to get a letter from the Post Office showing that an address didn't exist in order to get out of a parking ticket.

I don't know if you already sent your response back.

I was going to recommend that you might want to check with your local Post Office and actual get a letter (if possible) stating your address exist and is a valid physical location. My dad once had to get a letter from the Post Office showing that an address didn't exist in order to get out of a parking ticket.

Well, thanks, I haven't sent it yet! Anyway, I will check with the Post Office and see! Yet, it's odd problem and we have been receiving mail to this address for more over 10 years! Even the USCIS has sent us a plenty of them on different cases and occasions and no one day they got confused with our mailing address!!!!!