Request for information

BAK

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have couple of questions regarding requirements at US Port of Entry.

1. With I-551 stamp in the passport (with no physical Green Card), can you travel in and out of US without any problem. Are there any other documents that we need to provide at Port of Entry in US.

2. What should be the validity of passport at the time of entry into US. My passport will be valid for 5 months from the day that I am planning to re-enter into US. Is there is any such requirement that my passport needs to be valid for minimum of 6 months from the date of re-entry.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
BAK

1. Only I-551 stamp is necessary and no other document as long as stamp is not expired. The stamp has a validity of only one year.

2. US does not care whether passport is expired or valid as long as you have valid I-551 stamp. People have I-551 stamp on a a piece of paper with their photo and that too is enough. The point is, I-551 does not have to be on passport and passport is not necessary if you have valid I-551 stamp.

It is a different story that some countries will not allow you to travel if your passport is not valid for at least 6 months but that doe snot apply for a PR.