Request for additional evidence for I-485

rik-tik-tak

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone.

I have one question:

I was granted asylum in 08/97 and applied for I-485 on 08/98 (receipt date 10/98). Recently I received a letter from INS asking for additional evidence - I-94 Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record, showing my admission to the USA, or other evidence of my status of my admission. The strange part is that, I already submitted my I-94 with the initial packet back in 1998. The I-94 does say - Asylum Status Granted Indefinetely pursuant to Sec. 208 of the I&N Act on <date>.

My wife which joined me latter has something like - Admitted as asylee to USA ......

I don't have any other I-94 showing that I was admitted, just shows my status. I cross the border with Mexico and was inspected by IO but no I-94 was issued at this time.

Does anybody had this before or has any idea which document I have to submit again? Any links or comments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
:)

That's all what is say:

"additional evidence - I-94 Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record, showing my admission to the USA, or other evidence of my status of my admission"

I am getting confused by this. Does any asylee entered with visitor or other kind of visa, has actually two I-94's. One when they entered into the USA and other when they were granted asylum. I guess, INS is asking for the first I-94 for admission, not the second one showing the asylum status granted.

Anyone to comfirm he has two I-94's? Is that the case? I don't have this one since when entering into USA, I wasn't given one. Only after my asylum case was approved.

So that's the puzzle which I am trying to figure it out. Anyway, today called National Customer Service (no more Nebraska phone calls !!!!) and the dummy staff member told me to send again my I-94, despite the fact that I already sent it twice. I am sure, those guys are measured by the lowest IQ possible.

Anyone willing to share thoughts, ideas? Thanks

It was sent already - the approval letter for asylum status. That does show the status and eligibility for adjustment to permanent status. They don't ask for the status. It's a question of admission status - the way how I was admmited initially in USA (on port of entry)? That's how I understand it - how did you come to this country and what was your status of initial admittance?

Do you have two I-94's - one from the initial entry and one from the asylum granting? I have just one, so trying to understand what the others have. Anyone had to submit such evidence?

Thanks

you can actually call Nebraska,that phone still works you just have to start calling 15 min before 8 am central time,and just wander thru the sistem until 8 am and then press 0

good luck,i think that you may be able to speek with your case officer.

chris

Do you have the Nebraska phone number. Seems they changed to the National Service Center one - 1 - (800) 375-5283

Please, help if you know it.

Thanks

402-323-7830 i think,i will check the number when i get home tonight.but is the old phone # from your notice.

Yeap. That's the old number.

It was changed already, and now you are adviced to call 1 (800) 375-5283, which is the Natinal Service Center. Seems no more direct contact to IO in Nebraska.

The lasy from NSC suggested me to send a letter if I want to ask Nebraska folks a question. Right, sure - I said. I sent them four letters during these 5 years of waiting and received just two answers. Each one after almost a year delay. Nice catch 22.

Anyway - thanks for your help..

Originally posted by rik-tik-tak
Yeap. That's the old number.

It was changed already, and now you are adviced to call 1 (800) 375-5283, which is the Natinal Service Center. Seems no more direct contact to IO in Nebraska.

The lasy from NSC suggested me to send a letter if I want to ask Nebraska folks a question. Right, sure - I said. I sent them four letters during these 5 years of waiting and received just two answers. Each one after almost a year delay. Nice catch 22.

Anyway - thanks for your help..

What about the entry stamp in your old passport? Personally I think your case is almost near approval

SORRY,ABOUT THE PHONE #,
I'VE TRIED IT AND YOU WERE WRIGHT.
ON JUNE 9 THEY HAD THAT CHANGED.
ANYWAY ANY UPDATES ON YOUR CASE ?

CHRIS

I have 2 I-94 - one from arriving to USA, another - after status approved. Didn't they ever ask you about how you enter USA (when uwere applying for asylum)? You or your lawer explained it somehow to them at that time. Maybe the same explanation will work this time too<
Best wishes.

Be careful!!

Be Careful here! Be very careful. You shouldn't have 2 I-94's. When you applied for Asylum, they should have asked for your I-94, If at that time you put that "no I-94 issued" or any other reason..DO NOT BRING THE I-94 UP NOW!! YOu will get in trouble for lying when filing for your Asylum!!

STick with what you wrote on your Asylum Application!! Re read it..I had a friend who got put in jail for lying when he went for his interview..that poor doofus showed them his i-94 that he got while visiting this country..and he wrote in his Asylum that it was a "false document entry"

Be careful and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually don't have two I-94's and that seems to be the problem. I was inspected on land check point and no I-94 was issued at this time.

In the asylum application, the lawer recorded inspected by INS and no I-94 issued. I was given one after the asylum approval (attached to the official letter). On the asylum interview, I told the story to the INS officer and showed my WSA passport with which I entered. So there's nothing more I can show or send.

I am trying to figure it out, how to explain all this again to Nebraska and if they are going to be satisfied of all this and not going to reject my application.

If someone had such problems before, please let me know.

Thanks

When I recieve asylum, they took my old I-94 and issued a new one with asylum granted stamp on it.

Originally posted by annv
When I recieve asylum, they took my old I-94 and issued a new one with asylum granted stamp on it.

I had two I-94 cards I got one when i arrived in the US in 1993,
I got a second one when i was granted asylum in 1995.
I was asked to surrender both cards to the US customs in Ohare airport when i came back from Europe in 1999.
The only thing i have are photo copies of both cards.

There is absolutely no way can anyone be denied adjustment unless you give conflicting reasons why you don`t have the original I-94 card/s.

Originally posted by rik-tik-tak
Thanks for the replies.

I actually don't have two I-94's and that seems to be the problem. I was inspected on land check point and no I-94 was issued at this time.

In the asylum application, the lawer recorded inspected by INS and no I-94 issued. I was given one after the asylum approval (attached to the official letter). On the asylum interview, I told the story to the INS officer and showed my WSA passport with which I entered. So there's nothing more I can show or send.

I am trying to figure it out, how to explain all this again to Nebraska and if they are going to be satisfied of all this and not going to reject my application.

If someone had such problems before, please let me know.

Thanks

Yes, they want the original I-94 (the one supposed to be issued when you were admitted, not the want you got with your asylum approval). All you need to do is explain clearly that you were inspected at the border no I-94 was issued at that time and send a notarized copy of your passport showing your admission. Mention that you explained this during your asylum interview. They want to know for how long you were admitted and check it out with the date you applied for asylum.
I dont think you will have any problem.
Good luck