Reply from Sen.John Cornyn (TX)

n77

Registered Users (C)
I had send an email to Sen.Cornyn clearly stating our retro problems...but the reply i gopt bk is abt H1 visas...I dont think Sen.Cornyn is unaware of our visa retro...since he himself is the main sponsor of one of the bills..
I hope this is a just automated reply...I am pasting the reply I got from him

reply:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern about H-1B visas for foreign workers. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this issue.

As you know, the high-tech boom of the 1990s greatly increased the demand for skilled laborers in the American workforce. To address this demand, the 106th Congress passed the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act (P.L. 106-260), which raised the cap on H-1B visas through the end of Fiscal Year 2003.

I support the H-1B visa program as a solution to demands in critical sectors—provided we adhere to the program's strict stipulations that are designed to protect American workers. The H-1B visa program prohibits a U.S. company from hiring foreign-born professionals if U.S. employees have been laid off from that company within ninety days. Moreover, companies seeking to employ foreign-born professionals must submit an application with a $1,000 fee to the Department of Labor for each professional they sponsor for admission to the United States. These fees are used for job training, scholarships, and grants for American citizens. Finally, H-1B visa regulations protect U.S. workers from being undercut by inexpensive foreign labor because they mandate that salaries of H-1B workers be comparable to salaries of U.S. workers.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your comments in mind should relevant legislation be considered. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Last edited by a moderator:
Senator Cornyn's reply

Senator Cornyn is well aware of the retrogression problem. Here is the reply I got from him in mid January:
Thank you for contacting me about delays in securing immigration visas. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

In the wake of customer complaints and concerns voiced by elected officials, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has informed my office that it is committed to ensuring six-month processing times for all applications and petitions by the close of 2006. Though the USCIS security check process is time consuming, USCIS reforms will not compromise national security in any way. USCIS officials reported recently that streamlining efforts, together with additional resources from Congress, have enabled it to reduce the backlog for many applications. Officials are confident they will achieve their goal for all applications. I applaud this commitment to customer service and look forward to a time when all who seek to visit or immigrate to America receive a prompt decision.

It has also come to my attention that once USCIS approves a petition, many individuals must wait lengthy periods of time because of visa shortages. I recently voted to support a measure that would recapture unused visas from prior years—a move which would reduce the overall waiting period for visas. I will also continue to advocate for additional opportunities for legal immigration. Our immigration laws must not favor illegal immigration, but must instead reward those who comply with the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

ENDQUOTE

Dallas03096 said:
Senator Cornyn is well aware of the retrogression problem. Here is the reply I got from him in mid January:
Thank you for contacting me about delays in securing immigration visas. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

In the wake of customer complaints and concerns voiced by elected officials, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has informed my office that it is committed to ensuring six-month processing times for all applications and petitions by the close of 2006. Though the USCIS security check process is time consuming, USCIS reforms will not compromise national security in any way. USCIS officials reported recently that streamlining efforts, together with additional resources from Congress, have enabled it to reduce the backlog for many applications. Officials are confident they will achieve their goal for all applications. I applaud this commitment to customer service and look forward to a time when all who seek to visit or immigrate to America receive a prompt decision.

It has also come to my attention that once USCIS approves a petition, many individuals must wait lengthy periods of time because of visa shortages. I recently voted to support a measure that would recapture unused visas from prior years—a move which would reduce the overall waiting period for visas. I will also continue to advocate for additional opportunities for legal immigration. Our immigration laws must not favor illegal immigration, but must instead reward those who comply with the rule of law.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

ENDQUOTE

how did u contact the lawmakers????

so whats the point of the email? you all got an automated reply, not a personalized one! this dosen't improve our hopes..

Auto reply

puhrince said:
so whats the point of the email? you all got an automated reply, not a personalized one! this dosen't improve our hopes..

giving automated replies doesnt mean.. they are not aware of the problem or they dont supprt us...
senators gets 1000s of email evryday with diff issues..thts y they have set up a auto reply...cannot send pesonel reply to each one of them..

yeah that is my point..we all know that these senators are aware of the problem..so whats the joy in getting an automated reply which has info we already know?

I think the point is that "Keep it warm". When they hear about it more frequently, we increase the chances of action.

BTW, my webfax to Tom Cresando(Congressman-R) and Ken Salazar(Senetor-D) did not generate any reply. don't know why, probably this is the first communication they received regarding this issue.
Hmm,,
puhrince said:
yeah that is my point..we all know that these senators are aware of the problem..so whats the joy in getting an automated reply which has info we already know?

They are not auto replies, they may be pre-prepared texts, but again the point is one has to prepare texts only for those issues which are being talked/asked more frequently, so it's a good sign.
If you don't even bother to ask them.... well you know the answer......

It Worked

guys...

i had posted before tht i got an automated reply from my senator...
but today i got a letter in mail personally signed by senator john cornyn...saying that he is fully aware of the problem..and he ll try his best to fix that...
so fax thing is working...all u have to do is send a personnel mail with ur address , fone numebr and email...
pls send it to ur lawmakers as march is fast approaching

Fax

guys..
pls send to ur respective lawmakers asap..ucan use IV webfax too if u wnt...but do it soon..