Replacement EAD filed still can loose job

RedLobster

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is to expire on the 20 th of Sept, that is less than a week from now.

I filed for my EAD in June 2nd and got it approved on 22nd, card was mailed but i did not receive the card (i only got the approval notice)

Waited for a month (till july 28th) and then filed an Replacement EAD Application on Aug 1st. Received the receipt notice on 3rd but still the case is pending.

I cant go to the local INS and ask for an interim EAD since my first EAD is approved and second(replacement) is only 45 days mature. I am to loose job in a week, what options do i have ?
Please suggest,
Thanks,
Senyorita

Read I-9 form instructions

Read instructions on I-9 form carefully, pay attention to Section 2- Employer. Show this to the employer.

The section is here.

Section 2 - Employer. For the purpose of completing thisform, the term "employer" includes those recruiters and referrers for afee who are agricultural associations, agricultural employers or farmlabor contractors.

Employers must complete Section 2 by examining evidence ofidentity and employment eligibility within three (3) business days ofthe date employment begins. If employees are authorized to work,but are unable to present the required document(s) within threebusiness days, they must present a receipt for the application of thedocument(s) within three business days and the actual document(s)within ninety (90) days. However, if employers hire individuals for aduration of less than three business days, Section 2 must becompleted at the time employment begins. Employers must record:1) document title; 2) issuing authority; 3) document number, 4)expiration date, if any; and 5) the date employment begins.Employers must sign and date the certification. Employees mustpresent original documents. Employers may, but are not required to,photocopy the document(s) presented. These photocopies may onlybe used for the verification process and must be retained with the I-9.However, employers are still responsible for completing the I-9.

Good luck
abhuda

'abhuda'

Unfortunately the text you are quoting only applies to new employment. If you read into the next section of the I-9 instructions you will see:

"Employers must complete Section 3 when updating and/or reverifying the I-9. Employers must reverify employment eligibility of their employees on or before the expiration date recorded in Section 1."

This makes it pretty clear that you need to show your new EAD before the old one expires.

Any progress on with your 2 nd EAD ?

Any Progress with your 2 nd EAD. What did your emplyer say ?
Please let us know what happend.

RedLobster said:

I filed for my EAD in June 2nd and got it approved on 22nd, card was mailed but i did not receive the card (i only got the approval notice)

Waited for a month (till july 28th) and then filed an Replacement EAD Application on Aug 1st. Received the receipt notice on 3rd but still the case is pending.

I cant go to the local INS and ask for an interim EAD since my first EAD is approved and second(replacement) is only 45 days mature. I am to loose job in a week, what options do i have ?
Please suggest,
Thanks,
Senyorita

Please let us know what happend.

RedLobster said:

Please suggest,
Thanks,
Senyorita

Please let us know what happend

RedLobster said:

Please suggest,
Thanks,
Senyorita

Lost EAD card in mail

HI,
I am in a similar situation. Applied for EAD card in July. Got my Application approved but didnt receive the card , waited for 30 days and applied for a replacement.
Idont know whats the process for a replacement, but reading the forums here sounds like I too will have to quit my job

My story might be helpful for you guys, later on sept 23 rd my ead expired and my employer terminated me.
I called VSC almost everyday and went to local INS almost every other day; no use. But in local ins they researched my case and found that service center destrroyed the card. (NSC, falsely told me that the card was lost in mail). Then i stayed at home for about 2 weeks and later i spoke to a good attorney
and he said that if the earlier card was lost /stolen/ destroyed you can work forf 90 days from the receipt of the second ead(replacement ead card)

Guys, most employers and attorneys dont know this; but ask them to read the rules and they can figure this out.

Then i told this to my employer and he hired me back, after 2 weeks.
Then again i called VSC and visited the local ins over and over again, one day a nice lady spoke for a while and understood my case and ordered for an reissue card; basically she re-approved the same case.
My second ead is still pending...who cares.
I received my card last week by mail.

Guys if they say that the card is lost; go to the local ins and ask for more details. Local INS can find if your card was destroyed by the service center. This info is not visible to NSC.
mail me if you have any doubts.
- Senyorita

Last edited by a moderator: