Renunciation of Indian citizenship

po1234wq

Registered Users (C)
Is the renunciation form a pre-requisite for getting OCI or does the consulate just assume that since I'm applying for OCI as a US citizen, the Indian passport will be cancelled at the time I get my OCI stamped?

Is the renunciation form a pre-requisite for getting OCI or does the consulate just assume that since I'm applying for OCI as a US citizen, the Indian passport will be cancelled at the time I get my OCI stamped?

The latter. You need to get your Indian passport cancelled when you get the OCI sticker/booklet.

I got my OCI booklet and US passports back yesterday, but they did not return the Cancelled Indian Passports. Is that normal?

Based on what several posters on here have said, you should have got your cancelled Indian passports back. Did you get the OCI/US passports by mail or did you visit the Consulate in person? You can call them to ask about your cancelled passports. If you live nearby, maybe you can even go there.

Based on what several posters on here have said, you should have got your cancelled Indian passports back. Did you get the OCI/US passports by mail or did you visit the Consulate in person? You can call them to ask about your cancelled passports. If you live nearby, maybe you can even go there.

Thanks! I'll try calling them today. Got mine via Fedex. Unfortunately I am not close to Houston (I am in FL).

I tried calling them one time....some one picked up...
ME: "Hello, I'm calling regarding..."
Indian Consulate Staff: "We are busy ...don't disturb..click"