Rentry Permit or RTD? Dilemma

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
Ok here is my dilemma. I need to travel to germany at least every 3 months to see my family. I can apply for RTD valid for 1 year or Rentry Permit, valid for 2 years. I would need visa on Rentry Permit.

I would like to know from people who got the Rentry permit and Visa that how long is the Visa valid till? If your RP expires lets say October 2008, is the visa valid till july 2008? I know you can apply for multiple entries but dont know
how long they issue you a visa for.

If I need to get a visa every 3 months for germany(at 43 per pop), I rather apply for RTD which requires no visa?

What do you all think..

Cadel, how long was your french visa valid for??

Anyone else? Do share.

Hey WANT

From my experience in getting Schengen Visa they are usually valid for the length of your trip which is determined from the dates on your tickets.

They will not go beyond those dates. So use the RTD since you save the money, the hassle of filling out applications and mailing etc.

wantmygcnow said:
Ok here is my dilemma. I need to travel to germany at least every 3 months to see my family. I can apply for RTD valid for 1 year or Rentry Permit, valid for 2 years. I would need visa on Rentry Permit.

I would like to know from people who got the Rentry permit and Visa that how long is the Visa valid till? If your RP expires lets say October 2008, is the visa valid till july 2008? I know you can apply for multiple entries but dont know
how long they issue you a visa for.

If I need to get a visa every 3 months for germany(at 43 per pop), I rather apply for RTD which requires no visa?

What do you all think..

Cadel, how long was your french visa valid for??

Anyone else? Do share.

Want,
If you want keep moving,I will advice you to keep applying for RTD untill you get your USC.You're no longer far away from obtaining USC.Applying for a visa is not easy as we can think.Even if you have a job,money and all papers work,visa may be denied since these europeans are very jealous of seeing us holding american documents.With britains,you may get a multi entry visa from six months to 5 years.This rule doesn't apply to shengen nations.They issue short stay visa for only up to 90 days.To answer to your question,my french visa was for 2 weeks with 6 days as duration of stay in France.It's stupid to see a valuable United States Permanent residents being treated that way.I don't see who's ready to mess up his/her GC in Europe.Last week,I decided to give up my Reentry Permit to uscis and appied for my Refugee Travel document as Permanent resident/Asylee.I will keep traveling without a visa in Europe via Germany until I give up my alien number in 2009.I'M PROUD TO BE ASYLEE.Being asylee is not a BURDEN.Being asylee is not being a MURDER.I will be back in France next month via Germany.I'm waiting for my RTD.I ain't got no more time for visas application.Remember,Swiss doesn't recognize Reentry Permit.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Want/Cadel,
Thought it was discussed somewhere in the forum that you could have both valid RTD and RP is that not the case? Cadel why did you need to give up your RP?

Hismercy said:
Want/Cadel,
Thought it was discussed somewhere in the forum that you could have both valid RTD and RP is that not the case? Cadel why did you need to give up your RP?

Cause I don't see how important is to keeping both documents.I used a Reentry permit to make trips for less than 6 months.same for RTD.I would keep my reentry Permit if I had any plan to stay out of USA for more than 6 months.Reentry Permit would allow me to reenter US after expiration of RTD.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

traveling with GC on hand (may I use my old NP /still valid) or must use RTD?

I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before asylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering back to the US with this?

Is there any link to any document that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP.

oliver1 said:
I received my GC (AS6 for me and AS7 for my wife).
My old NP is still valid (issued before asylum granted). Do I still have to use a RTD to travel and return to the US or may I just use my NP.
Will there be a problem at port of entering back to the US with this?

Is there any link to any document that addresses this issue?

Thanks

Note: I am not traveling to my COP.

Since you're no going back home,no problem if you use your old NP along with your GC to travel.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC receievd Sep 20,2005

cadel said:
Since you're no going back home,no problem if you use your old NP along with your GC to travel.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC receievd Sep 20,2005
Thanks cadel:
Have you travel with NP and GC.
If so how did it went when you returned.

oliver1 said:
Thanks cadel:
Have you travel with NP and GC.
If so how did it went when you returned.

Never.
But the real thing is at Port of Entry,officer will only pay intention on your GC then,stamp your Passport.Nothing complicated.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005