Rentry permit needed

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I had to leave the US for doing my MBA in december 2006 and plan to return in beginning of January in 2008. (One year MBA). I have been maintaining my continuous presence requirements by not being out of country for more than 6 months.

The last time the immigration official asked me I showed my MBA admission.
I would like to know if I will face any problems when I return in January ( Technically I have been out of country for 1 year and 1 month or so but have been visiting and maintaining status for continuous presence and filing taxes, credit cards etc).

In my situation does the immigration officer expect me to have reentry permit?

thanks for help
Harsha

did u go to india for MBA. why not doing it here?
If you had filled reentry permit then you can stay out for 1 year.

Hi

I had to leave the US for doing my MBA in december 2006 and plan to return in beginning of January in 2008. (One year MBA). I have been maintaining my continuous presence requirements by not being out of country for more than 6 months.

I would like to know if I will face any problems when I return in January ( Technically I have been out of country for 1 year and 1 month or so but have been visiting and maintaining status for continuous presence and filing taxes, credit cards etc).

thanks for help
Harsha

Potentially it can always be a problem when you have a GC and have been outside of the US for long periods of time. Remember it's always the "intent" that counts and that is subjective. If you have a valid reason just (an MBA would sound like one to me), just keep all your documentation with you and be prepared to show that your absence is/was temporary in nature and you intent to live and work in the USA as soon as the study abroad is finished.

I know of a situation where two back to back 5 month trips, followed by a three month trip triggered a stern warning at the port of entry

Technically reentry permit is not needed (since your trip outside is less than 6 months each), but will not hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

thanks for help
Harsha

Better to apply for Reentry Permit before you go out of US. To use reentry permit or not use depends on situation.