rentry permit help

rentryhelp

Registered Users (C)
I am in a sticky situation within 1 year of getting gc . having been laid off for the past 8 months I now have an job offer in europe. My main concern is to keep the gc active. realize the best way to do this is thru the reentry permit that will be good for 2 years. I would sincerly appreciate any feedback from others regarding this process. I am also struggling whether to keep the family behind for 2 years or have them join me in europe at the end of the current school yr. I heard that one can qualify to file for citizenship after 4 yrs and 1 day. is this true. please gurus post your suggestions greatly appreciate and thankful for your help

No Title

thank you for your prompt reply. I do intend to pay taxes and keep my house here. one of my main concerns is whether I(and the family if they come with me ) will have a problem with the gc on returning back after 2 years. I dont intend to be there for more than 2 yrs. Am hoping that the economy will pick up around that time making it easier to get a job. After a long 6 yr green card struggle, I want to make sure that I dont jeopardize it. any inputs and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

N-470

I am also trying to get info about it. Based on what I know, it allows u stay abroad (working for a US based company). As long as the job description is to promote trade abroad for a US company. Also the big advantage over re-entry permit is that the period of stay abroad still counts for your citizenship.

No Title

Only if you are working for a US based company then the N470 comes in handy. Unfortunately in my case this is not applicable and hence it does not protect the time spent abroad.

When is the earliest that one can apply for citizenship. Is it 4 yrs and 1 day after gc or 5 yrs and 1 day

Thanks

its 4 yrs 9 months for citizenship app.

regardless of what anyone says here, consult multiple attorneys. the $$$ is well spent.

personally, i do not think there is a 100% safe way for u to do what u r trying. you are taking a risk, and it is up to you only to judge whether the rewards are worth it.

can you come back within 180 days then go abroad again to work to avoid the problem with INS

No Title

Would it be be better to own house and car here in the US. I spoke to the lawyer and he said that really woould not be neccessary. But I guess it would point favorably towards the green card. would appreciate your feedback on this.

To all those out there if you havve gone thru the rentry permit process pleasee post your experiences here.

thanx so much

You haven\'t answered to first question?

Hi rentryhelp!
Are are looking at working through US based company/Europe based company? This can lead to some of the options or what you can or can\'t do to sustain your GC status in USA.
As far as I know, if you are going to work abroad through US based company, you can file some form (check with attorney) to maintain your GC status, then you can happily enjoy trip/work in Europe. If the company is based in Europe, then you may have to show/provide extraordinary cause(s) why you are going to be out of country for a while - like family reason(s), etc.

I hope this helps! Consult appropriate attorney(s) for proper advise!

No Title

Unfortunatly this is not US based company. It is a European company so there is no possibility of preserving the time spent abroad for US citizenshp

No Title

I have applied for a rentry permit and have been told that it will take about 6 weeks to get it.

I will be starting the new job right away in Europe. My lawyer will mail the rentry permit to me. This should take care of the green cared for the next 2 years

Thanks to all who posted their suggestions and thoughts on this sticky situation.