Renewal of US Visitor Visa for mother

chakor

Registered Users (C)
Hello:
My mother has a 10-year multiple visa which is expiring this month. I would like to renew it. There are conflicting statements. Some say I need to go through whole VISA application as a NEW requester. Some say in the case of 10-year visa there are some exemptions. She is in 70s and I do not want her to go through the interview process if it can be avoided. Please see the following link where I got some info http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?548173-Mother-in-Law-VISA-Renewal&p=2577697#post2577697

Can some one who went through the same process post your experiences? TIA

I don't think they "renew" visas. You will probably have to apply for a new one. Also I think they are less likely to give you the long term multiple entry visa these days (unless it's a business visa). You MAY have a problem getting a visa esp considering your mother's age and having children living in the USA who you are going to visit cos they (the embassy) will be concerned that you want to go live there so part of your visa application should include proof that you would return (e.g. business, investments, family responsibilities etc. I think you also have to have a letter from your bank ensuring that you can pay for your trip.

Yes, she will have to go through a new application process, there is no separate process for renewal of US visas. If she was fingerprinted for her previous visa she may be eligible for interview waiver if her visa has expired for not more than 48 months. Waiver is at the discretion of the consular officials. See the checklist here