Renewal of RTD

opinion

Registered Users (C)
Question?: I have valid RefTravelDoc through December 8 2005, but have to travel abroad in the beginning of January. I cannot file for renewal right now because my RTD still valid, RIGHT??? Its obvious that if I will apply for new RTD after December 8 2005 I wont get my renewed RTD in time. So, my question is: can I send my valid RTD with my application now, so the processing time will be counted from August??

:d

Yo:d
Just send it right now with the all information included, you will get it soon.

Godd luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I was advised to tell them that your RTD is lost.
In this case they will send you a new one with new "Date of Issue" and it won't matter when your current RTD expires.

I wont claim it to be lost. Whats going to happen upon your return to the states? I am sure they keep the information updated. JUst apply for a new one now and write a letter saying why your applying for it while your other RTD is still valid. I did that and told them that I will be needing to travel and I got mine in 4 months.

copper1 said:
I wont claim it to be lost. Whats going to happen upon your return to the states? I am sure they keep the information updated.
Hmm.. How can it cause any problems upon my return to the states? What if I lost it here in US, before applying for any Visa? Could happen to anyone anywhere.

Don't make confusion.

I sent my RTD back but it was still valid for 3 more months, I told them why I am doing it, Don't ever lie.
To tell you the Truth, since I was worried about to get my RTD on the right time, I told them my story which I have to go to Turkey to Visit my Wife, and that is the only time I can go ( I wrote the whole story in the seperate sheet typed) and then I got my RTD in less than two weeks. Still some nice people working in CIS.

So Good Luck,

sfsergey said:
Hmm.. How can it cause any problems upon my return to the states? What if I lost it here in US, before applying for any Visa? Could happen to anyone anywhere.

If I have a RTD that is valid for another 3 months and I need to travel 4 months from now on, obviousley I need to apply for new RTD ahead of time. Now you said that one should report the RTD to be stolen; Ok I report that my RTD is stolen or lost and based on that I apply for new one. What do you think will happne with the RTD that I am holding which is supposely stolen? What if I have to travel while its still valid? Obviousley if I enter USA with the supposley stolen RTD they may question me and I could get in some trouble. You decide if its worth it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
copper1 said:
If I have a RTD that is valid for another 3 months and I need to travel 4 months from now on, obviousley I need to apply for new RTD ahead of time. Now you said that one should report the RTD to be stolen; Ok I report that my RTD is stolen or lost and based on that I apply for new one. What do you think will happned with the RTD that I am holding which is supposely stolen? What if I have to travel while its still valid? Obviousley if I enter USA with the supposley stolen RTD they may question me and I could get in some trouble. You decide if its worth it for you.

Got your point, thanks.
I have an error in my RTD(wrong country), I thought that claiming that it's lost was just a faster way to fix it.

Hi,

where does it say that you have to submit the original RTD when you renew? I am in the same boat? Mine will expire end of May but I have to travel in January and return to renew..but if I submit my RTD for renewal then I will not be able to travel until I get it, in which case (since I will be working overseas for a year ) I will be out of a job. I was told that you do not have to submit the original unless asked. And I have not found any document that says you have to submit the original.

If anyone has any information please post as I was 100% sure you don't have to submit the original and therefore was not going to.

Thanks.

Ruth

rgebru said:
Hi,

where does it say that you have to submit the original RTD when you renew? I am in the same boat? Mine will expire end of May but I have to travel in January and return to renew..but if I submit my RTD for renewal then I will not be able to travel until I get it, in which case (since I will be working overseas for a year ) I will be out of a job. I was told that you do not have to submit the original unless asked. And I have not found any document that says you have to submit the original.

If anyone has any information please post as I was 100% sure you don't have to submit the original and therefore was not going to.

Thanks.

Ruth

I applied in April 2005 and had a valid one that was to expire on Sep 16, 2005. They sent me a new one on August 2005 and also had the old one that was to expire Sep 16.

Apply for a new one, dont send the old one. Attach a letter explaining why you need to keep the old one but also write that If USCIS needs the old RTD, you will be happy to return it(reverse psychology)...Worked for me..

wantmygcnow,

Thanks for the info!! My initial plan was to come back in May (a month before it expires) then apply for expedited RTD (which I did last time and got within two weeks) and leave and have it sent to Germany (where I will be working). The problem with that was that I wouldn't have any document to travel to Germany with.. so now change of plans. Unless since I will have a residence permit for Germany they will not mind that I will be traveling with an almost expired RTD? Does anyone know anything about this?
Your idea is much better, it will save me 5-600 dollars for the plane ticket.