Removal proceedings

JobeAshei

Hello, so last year I applied for naturalization and during my interview i was told that I had registered to vote in 2016. I honestly can’t remember registering to vote, it must of been at my college campus and i must’ve not read what I was signing. I ended up withdrawing my registration like the interviewer suggested and gave proof that I never voted in any election. I ended up getting denied on my citizenship due to poor moral character. This week a letter was sent to my house, it was a notice of removal proceedings. I am going to hire an immigration lawyer. My question to you guys is, how likely am I going to get deported back to Somalia which is a war torn country? I’ve been here since 2004 at the age of 7, and don’t speak the Somali language. My whole family are citizens except me. I don’t have family in Somalia. I have a degree and I’ve never even had a speeding ticket let alone any criminal convictions. I know false claim to citizenship is a big no no, but I didn’t vote at all and didn’t benefit at all from claiming to be a citizen.

Hello, so last year I applied for naturalization and during my interview i was told that I had registered to vote in 2016. I honestly can’t remember registering to vote, it must of been at my college campus and i must’ve not read what I was signing. I ended up withdrawing my registration like the interviewer suggested and gave proof that I never voted in any election. I ended up getting denied on my citizenship due to poor moral character. This week a letter was sent to my house, it was a notice of removal proceedings. I am going to hire an immigration lawyer. My question to you guys is, how likely am I going to get deported back to Somalia which is a war torn country? I’ve been here since 2004 at the age of 7, and don’t speak the Somali language. My whole family are citizens except me. I don’t have family in Somalia. I have a degree and I’ve never even had a speeding ticket let alone any criminal convictions. I know false claim to citizenship is a big no no, but I didn’t vote at all and didn’t benefit at all from claiming to be a citizen.

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've also made a same mistake of putting the wrong answer on my application; too much was going on back then and I must have forgotten about the incident of voter registration. Have you met a lawyer yet? And may I ask, what state are you from?

Im so sorry to hear this. So many people get tangled up in voter registration and putting USC on I-9. Unfortunately as far as I know there is no waiver for false claim to USC under INA 212 A (6)(c)(ii). The only way to defend yourself is to prove that either you were a minor or that the registration wasn't your fault in some way. I hope you guys get this sorted out.

On a side note, I don't really understand this over-excitement for voting, maybe because I am not much interested in politics and did not register to vote even after I became a citizen.

what was your age when your parents become citizen?If you were below 18 you automatic become citizen when your parents become citizen.

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've also made a same mistake of putting the wrong answer on my application; too much was going on back then and I must have forgotten about the incident of voter registration. Have you met a lawyer yet? And may I ask, what state are you from?
Do you have an update on your status?

Any update on you? Did you hire a lawyer?