Removal Proceedings I-130 and I-485

SEE: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title08/8cfr1245_main_02.tpl these afre the Immigration Judge regulations on adjustment of status during proceedings.

BUT: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...div8&view=text&node=8:1.0.2.4.2.3.1.35&idno=8 describing security check procedures overrides all decisions concerning any grant of relief.

8 CFR § 1003.47 Identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations relating to applications for immigration relief, protection, or restriction on removal. [Irrelevant parts omitted.]

(a) In general. The procedures of this section are applicable to any application for immigration relief, protection, or restriction on removal that is subject to the conduct of identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations as described in paragraph (b) of this section, in order to ensure that DHS has completed the appropriate identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations before the adjudication of the application.

(b) Covered applications. The requirements of this section apply to the granting of any form of immigration relief in immigration proceedings which permits the alien to reside in the United States, including but not limited to the following forms of relief, protection, or restriction on removal to the extent they are within the authority of an immigration judge or the Board to grant:

(2) Adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident under sections 209 or 245 of the Act, or any other provision of law.

(3) Waiver of inadmissibility or deportability under sections 209(c), 212, or 237 of the Act, or any provision of law.

(4) Permanent resident status on a conditional basis or removal of the conditional basis of permanent resident status under sections 216 or 216A of the Act, or any other provision of law.

(c) Completion of applications for immigration relief, protection, or restriction on removal. Failure to file necessary documentation and comply with the requirements to provide biometrics and other biographical information in conformity with the applicable regulations, the instructions to the applications, the biometrics notice, and instructions provided by DHS, within the time allowed by the immigration judge's order, constitutes abandonment of the application and the immigration judge may enter an appropriate order dismissing the application unless the applicant demonstrates that such failure was the result of good cause. Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect the provisions in 8 CFR 1208.4 regarding the timely filing of asylum applications or the determination of a respondent's compliance with any other deadline for initial filing of an application, including the consequences of filing under the Child Status Protection Act.

(d) Biometrics and other biographical information. At any hearing at which a respondent expresses an intention to file or files an application for relief for which identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations are required under this section, unless DHS advises the immigration judge that such information is unnecessary in the particular case, DHS shall notify the respondent of the need to provide biometrics and other biographical information and shall provide a biometrics notice and instructions to the respondent for such procedures. The immigration judge shall specify for the record when the respondent receives the biometrics notice and instructions and the consequences for failing to comply with the requirements of this section. Whenever required by DHS, the applicant shall make arrangements with an office of DHS to provide biometrics and other biographical information (including for any other person covered by the same application who is required to provide biometrics and other biographical information) before or as soon as practicable after the filing of the application for relief in the immigration proceedings. Failure to provide biometrics or other biographical information of the applicant or any other covered individual within the time allowed will constitute abandonment of the application or of the other covered individual's participation unless the applicant demonstrates that such failure was the result of good cause. DHS is responsible for obtaining biometrics and other biographical information with respect to any alien in detention.

(e) Conduct of investigations or examinations. DHS shall endeavor to initiate all relevant identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations concerning the alien or beneficiaries promptly, to complete those investigations or examinations as promptly as is practicable (considering, among other things, increased demands placed upon such investigations), and to advise the immigration judge of the results in a timely manner, on or before the date of a scheduled hearing on any application for immigration relief filed in the proceedings. The immigration judges, in scheduling hearings, shall allow a period of time for DHS to undertake the necessary identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations prior to the date that an application is scheduled for hearing and disposition, with a view to minimizing the number of cases in which hearings must be continued.

(f) Continuance for completion of investigations or examinations. If DHS has not reported on the completion and results of all relevant identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations for an applicant and his or her beneficiaries by the date that the application is scheduled for hearing and disposition, after the time allowed by the immigration judge pursuant to paragraph (e) of this section, the immigration judge may continue proceedings for the purpose of completing the investigations or examinations, or hear the case on the merits. DHS shall attempt to give reasonable notice to the immigration judge of the fact that all relevant identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations have not been completed and the amount of time DHS anticipates is required to complete those investigations or examinations.

(g) Adjudication after completion of investigations or examinations. In no case shall an immigration judge grant an application for immigration relief that is subject to the conduct of identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations under this section until after DHS has reported to the immigration judge that the appropriate investigations or examinations have been completed and are current as provided in this section and DHS has reported any relevant information from the investigations or examinations to the immigration judge.

(h) Adjudication upon remand from the Board. In any case remanded pursuant to 8 CFR 1003.1(d)(6), the immigration judge shall consider the results of the identity, law enforcement, or security investigations or examinations subject to the provisions of this section. If new information is presented, the immigration judge may hold a further hearing if necessary to consider any legal or factual issues, including issues relating to credibility, if relevant. The immigration judge shall then enter an order granting or denying the immigration relief sought.

(i) Procedures when immigration relief granted. At the time that the immigration judge or the Board grants any relief under this section that would entitle the respondent to a new document evidencing such relief, the decision granting such relief shall include advice that the respondent will need to contact an appropriate office of DHS. Information concerning DHS locations and local procedures for document preparation shall be routinely provided to EOIR and updated by DHS. Upon respondent's presentation of a final order from the immigration judge or the Board granting such relief and submission of any biometric and other information necessary, DHS shall prepare such documents in keeping with section 264 of the Act and regulations thereunder and other relevant law.

[70 FR 4753, Jan. 31, 2005]

So that means that judge cant rule on anything until background check is complete right? And if its not complete, the judge will set a master hearing again?

So, I went to court a 4 days ago and here is what happened. The judge and gov-t had no problems accepting the I-485 packages from us. Then the judge asked the prosecutor if its ok with him to close the case. He responded that it is fine. Then, my lawyer asked the judge to keep the case open and give us one last hearing (I guess its called merits?) at which both me and my wife will have to be present for I-485 "interview". The judge was a bit surprised by this move, but the lawyer told him that based on her and her clients' most recent experience, it takes substantially longer through USCIS than the court and that the court provides much more certainty in terms of timing. This was of course discussed with me beforehand.

The judge then granted the hearing 9 months out in the future and I was on my way :) Amazingly, some of the people that were before me on the docket had their new hearings set in 2012. I guess thats how backed up the system is.

Does anyone know whether at this point I am considered a person who "applied for LPR?"

need an advise

Faster way was after getting married,you would sent your I-130 along with your I-485 to Chicago(I-130 and I-485 togheter).This process takes about 1 year to 1 year and half to get your green card.This what I did for my wife and without lawyer.She got her Green card in 11 months.She was in removal proceedings(asylum case with judge).When you do it with lawyers,they send I-130 first.This is a legal route but it takes time.
Good luck.You will get your Green card.Important thing is getting your I-130 approved.

This is what I did too. I am in removal proceedings, because my ex-husband filed asylum application with me as a dependent and it was denied in 2010 which sent us both to removal proceedings. I married my present husband and filed I130 and I485 together, we had an interview and I-130 was approved, but I-485 was administratevly closed, because USCIS doesn't have jurisdiction. My individual hearing with IJ is scheduled for March 2014. Cadel, you wrote that you did it for your wife without a lawyer, this is what I am trying to do (tired paying a lot of money to people, who seem to slow my case in order to suck more money out of me). So since my situation is very similar to your wife's, could you point me to the wright direction of what to do next? I hate to think that I will have to wait another year for my individual hearing and then to wait again for I-485 adjudication from either USCIS or IJ. I am very lost at this point, so if there is anything you could advise me... Thank You in advance.

Yes and No

This is what I did too. I am in removal proceedings, because my ex-husband filed asylum application with me as a dependent and it was denied in 2010 which sent us both to removal proceedings. I married my present husband and filed I130 and I485 together, we had an interview and I-130 was approved, but I-485 was administratevly closed, because USCIS doesn't have jurisdiction. My individual hearing with IJ is scheduled for March 2014. Cadel, you wrote that you did it for your wife without a lawyer, this is what I am trying to do (tired paying a lot of money to people, who seem to slow my case in order to suck more money out of me). So since my situation is very similar to your wife's, could you point me to the wright direction of what to do next? I hate to think that I will have to wait another year for my individual hearing and then to wait again for I-485 adjudication from either USCIS or IJ. I am very lost at this point, so if there is anything you could advise me... Thank You in advance.

I doubt if cadel situation applies to you because technically you can not file I 485 while you are in Removal proceedings with USCIS. what might have happened if asylum is with the IJ but still you have legal status that can be possible. 4 ur case, you are on the right track. all u have to do is take ur approved letter to the ij on your next hearing then ask the judge to terminate ur case then file with uscis. 90% of the time the ij will terminate ur case and u can use that as prove when applying for ur 485 which will be approved definitely on the basis that the ij found u admissible. this is a simple process u can do urself and not involve lawyers unless you are denied and need to appeal

I have a Similar situation, me and my Ex got divorced before my I-751 was approved and i remarried my present spouse before my I- 751 was adjudicated (denied). I waited for an NTA (Notice to Appear) however I never recieved it so i went ahead to file I-130 and I-485 with my present spouse. My question is, am I currently in removal proceedings and will I have to appear before an Immigration judge before my I-485 application will be approved.
Thank you in advance for your response