Relocating opinions needed

shankru

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks
I live in bay area. I am thinking of relocating to North carolina or Richardson.
I would like to know opinion of people who have lived in bay area as well as these places. How are the oppurtunities in Telecom/Datacom field in these places and how different are these places when compared to Bay area.
It has been very nice living in Bay area .Main reason for moving are living expenses are higher, house prices are ridiculous and very demanding employers and days of making money in stock options are over.
Thanks in advance :)

And if happen to have a school going kids, the edu in CA sucks. With so much budget deficit here, edu is the one governor is cutting cost. I agree with all the points and have been thinking on the lines of moving out bayarea.

The only attraction in bayarea is that indianised (grocery, restaurant, Indian), so feel like home and of course weather.

There are website which has comparative calculator and could compare one city to other in terms of cost of living.

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp

i live in charlotte, nc

Charlotte is a growing city. reasonable cost of living. but dont think there are many job opportunities as in bay area or ny or chicago. But i guess if you look at any job sites you may find one.

shankru said:
Hello folks
I live in bay area. I am thinking of relocating to North carolina or Richardson.
I would like to know opinion of people who have lived in bay area as well as these places. How are the oppurtunities in Telecom/Datacom field in these places and how different are these places when compared to Bay area.
It has been very nice living in Bay area .Main reason for moving are living expenses are higher, house prices are ridiculous and very demanding employers and days of making money in stock options are over.

I don't know much about your field. In my field, EE, it is very difficult to find opportunities except in bay area. I have moved to Dallas, TX/Corvallis OR/Boise ID from bay area because of high living cost in Bay area. However, the opportunities were/are very few over there. Most of time, there was only one opportunity in the area. I don't like that. It means all the power will be on the employer side. If one does not like his/her job, it is almost impossible to find another one within 500 miles.

shankru said:
Hello folks
I have been thinking in the same direction. Specifically I was thinking of moving to RTP, NC, as my company has office there too. People in RTP area, please comment on how good is the quality of life there and job scene.

Thanks.
JC.

gopher97 said:
Don't walk away from CA, RUN!

Agreed you are an idiot when it comes to giving some meaningful suggestions :). But can you elaborate where are you. CA, bay area is pretty cool if you want indian kind of envioronment and basically looking for an India away from India. Also as the original poster said, employers here are too demanding and pace of life is too hectic, leaving you to wonder if it will be worth all this in the end.

Between Boston area and RTP are, which one is best in people's opinions ?

Thanks.
JC.

I am in the same process too. I want to get away from NJ/NY for the same reasons + weather. Thinking Texas or southern California.

justchecking said:
CA, bay area is pretty cool if you want indian kind of envioronment and basically looking for an India away from India. Also as the original poster said, employers here are too demanding and pace of life is too hectic, leaving you to wonder if it will be worth all this in the end.

Well, if you want "India away from India" then why not that part too (demanding employer) .
:) Don't be selective - either take whole baggage or leave it.
:D

justchecking said:
Agreed you are an idiot when it comes to giving some meaningful suggestions :). But can you elaborate where are you. CA, bay area is pretty cool if you want indian kind of envioronment and basically looking for an India away from India. Also as the original poster said, employers here are too demanding and pace of life is too hectic, leaving you to wonder if it will be worth all this in the end.

Between Boston area and RTP are, which one is best in people's opinions ?

Thanks.
JC.

Don't hate, appreciate! Also, I hope you followed the instructions to ignore me.

I am from India. For me, the whole USA looks alike. Same cars, same roads, same gas stations, same airports, same culture, same language, same signals, same MCdonalds, same BurgerKings, same wal-marts, same JC Pennys, same parks, same sports, same apartments, same insurance compnies etc. Since every thing is same, I don't mind relocating to any place as long as the salary is good enough. I toured all over USA and I don't see any diifrence in any significant way. Unfortunately, even in Indian stores, we get the same items from the same companies.
So, just relax and go wherever you feel like. I am not hypocrite, I write what I feel.

asrivang said:
I am from India. For me, the whole USA looks alike. Same cars, same roads, same gas stations, same airports, same culture, same language, same signals, same MCdonalds, same BurgerKings, same wal-marts, same JC Pennys, same parks, same sports, same apartments, same insurance compnies etc. Since every thing is same, I don't mind relocating to any place as long as the salary is good enough. I toured all over USA and I don't see any diifrence in any significant way. Unfortunately, even in Indian stores, we get the same items from the same companies.
So, just relax and go wherever you feel like. I am not hypocrite, I write what I feel.

Agreed wholeheartedly with you. The blandness of life here is amazing ( I mean in a negative sense). I once did a cross country drive from NY to SF bay area. Once you crossed Iowa, it is all same all the way to pacific coast, except may be the natural geography. A city is nothing but a bunch of skyscrapers (if you have seen one, you have seen them all). A suburb is nothing but a bunch of malls with same chains (safeway, blockbuster, starsucks (pun intended) etc). Only real city in US that I liked to an extent is Savannah, Georgia, recently on a trip to South East US. This was a city with no skyscrapers. Just old historic city with some modicum of personality.

In India cities have personalities. Delhi is not Mumbai and Vice versa. Every city is unique with its own characteristics all the way to small cities and towns.

I guess Big business and capitalism does, what happened to US. It destroys all personalities and replaces them with one pervasive dominant personality.

-JC

Last edited by a moderator:
asrivang said:

Yes, USA is more homogeneous compare to India. But I don't agree with your conclusion. I don't think McDonald, Walmart or JC Penny represent any local culture or society or America. They are big American corporates - spreading across all over the world (not just USA). If you want to see real America probably you need to go beyond McD or Burger King. Go to small towns, talk to local people. You will see even though they speak same language, English, one of part America is lot from different another - by philosophy, lifestyle. For example, San Francisco (liberal lifestyle, slightly laidback), New York (true melting pot - you get samosa on steet, "Bombay Dream" on stage), New Orleans (French heritage, Jazz), San Diego (Navy town) - are four cities in for corners of USA. And they are so different. Local cuisines, drinks are also different. Well all the cities have MacD - so what?

pralay said:
Yes, USA is more homogeneous compare to India. But I don't agree with your conclusion. I don't think McDonald, Walmart or JC Penny represent any local culture or society or America. They are big American corporates - spreading across all over the world (not just USA). If you want to see real America probably you need to go beyond McD or Burger King. Go to small towns, talk to local people. You will see even though they speak same language, English, one of part America is lot from different another - by philosophy, lifestyle. For example, San Francisco (liberal lifestyle, slightly laidback), New York (true melting pot - you get samosa on steet, "Bombay Dream" on stage), New Orleans (French heritage, Jazz), San Diego (Navy town) - are four cities in for corners of USA. And they are so different. Local cuisines, drinks are also different. Well all the cities have MacD - so what?

Most sensible post I have read here in a long time (including mine).