Regular/Permanent-Difference

eb1doc

Registered Users (C)
Our HR office says that legally they cannot write word "permanent" for any academic positions but they also said for immigration purposes they have used "regular" word and no complains so far!!

Will that be able to convince INS guys!!!!?

At most Universities, academic appointments are of two types; 1) Term and 2) Continuing or Recurring. Tenured faculty appointments are of continuing type. Research associate appointments can be of either type. Our HR office is willing to call the continuing or recurring appointment type as "permanent" as it is essentially the same. I just got a letter from them today with the "permanent" word as I am anticipating a RFE asking for that on my OR petition.

Thanks pamit!
Well, Our HR says "Regular" & "full time" & sevaral "benefits " means "permanent". They are adament for not using that magic word....
Will it be safe to use that latter in case of RFE like yours.
I will appreciate more input on this "regular" concept.
Again this is about RA position which is acdemic but no time limit.
All the best for your case!!!

eb1doc said:
Thanks pamit!
Well, Our HR says "Regular" & "full time" & sevaral "benefits " means "permanent". They are adament for not using that magic word....
Will it be safe to use that latter in case of RFE like yours.
I will appreciate more input on this "regular" concept.
Again this is about RA position which is acdemic but no time limit.
All the best for your case!!!

Only the word "permanent" means "permanent". That a job is "regular", "full time" etc doesn't mean it is permanent. In my company we have temp positions who work full time, have a "regular" job etc. but they are not permanent. Try to push your HR to write "permanent" it will make your life much easier.

Thanks Honkman
Thats what i did!
After 5 days of persistence they gave me one letter with magic word few minutes back!