Registration requirement with India Visa

gc-despo

Registered Users (C)
We are former Indian nationals who recently became US citizens. Due to upcoming Christmas travel to India, we had to apply for 6 month India visa rather than OCI.

Got the visa today. It says on the visa in fine print:

"Registration required within 14 days of arrival in India for visas valid for more than 180 days".

1) What does this mean?

2) We are going to India for 3 weeks (i.e., greater than 14 days). Does it means we have to register?

3) If yes, with whom/where do we have to register?

If you are planning to stay in India for over 180 days, you will need to register within 14 days of landing in India. If you are not going to stay for that long, no need to do anything. Most tourist visas to India limit a single stay to under 180 days, even though visas themselves may be valid for 5-10 years. Therefore a visit to India under such visas don't require registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to counter this is by an official document. The visa seems to be incorrect in my opinion. When you board the flight, you get a disembarkation (or is it embarkation) form, which has words to the contrary. Take an extra copy and keep it safe ... you can show this when exiting if someone asks.

Personal experience ... I called the SFO consulate and they said I should not worry if I am staying less than 180 days. One of my kids has a registration required, one does not - both under 14, but were never asked for registration proof for India stay usually in the range of 3-4 weeks.

Visa to Inida

Hi GC,

Im on same boat, i have to go to India on 2/19 and we became US citizens on 1/28, can you please guide me the fastest way to get my passport and indian visa.

Ive called 800 number and got an appointement at SF passport agency on 2/11, not sure if i have sufficient time after that to get Indian Visa, am thinking of either using an agent or going to SF directly with out an appointment.

Please advice ..

thanks in advance.

We are former Indian nationals who recently became US citizens. Due to upcoming Christmas travel to India, we had to apply for 6 month India visa rather than OCI.

Got the visa today. It says on the visa in fine print:

"Registration required within 14 days of arrival in India for visas valid for more than 180 days".

1) What does this mean?

2) We are going to India for 3 weeks (i.e., greater than 14 days). Does it means we have to register?

3) If yes, with whom/where do we have to register?

Im on same boat, i have to go to India on 2/19 and we became US citizens on 1/28, can you please guide me the fastest way to get my passport and indian visa.

Ive called 800 number and got an appointement at SF passport agency on 2/11, not sure if i have sufficient time after that to get Indian Visa, am thinking of either using an agent or going to SF directly with out an appointment.

You have enough time to get the visa.

If you have a spare day, and feel the need to be sure, land up in SFO passport agency without appointment. Do this within 2 weeks of travel - not before. So I guess 2/5 is the earliest you can try. Reach there early and you should be able to get in. Depending on the workload, passport agencies can give visa either same day, or latest in 48 hours.

Indian visa can be got in 1 day if you submit early in the day, and fill up your travisa forms early enough.