Registered Voter

achal

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Recently I saw in a news paper forum that somebody is facing trouble(initialy denial and now appealing) in his I 485 because he had registered himself as voter.
During his early days he was asked in Secretary of State Office, if he wanted to register as voter and he agreed.
Lawyer of the forum was surprised because he had never come across any such incident.He had anticipated that BCIS would never cross check from SS office and that guy must have disclosed it unknowingly, during his I 485 interview.

May be some of us unknowingly had registered themselves as voter.

What should we do? Should we go back to the SS Office and get it cancelled or just leave it like that?

I would like any senior member or Mr. Rajiv to answer this.

Thanks

Achal

US citizenship is a requirement for registering to vote. One has to sign under the penalty of perjury that one is a US citizen.
I don't see how anyone can "unknowingly" register as a voter. He/she has to be really stupid to do something like this.

Hello nkm-oct23,

That's true.
I am asking because one of my friend also had done the same thing.
When he told the lady in SS Office that he was not citizen, she told if you were not citizen , you will be denied if not eligible for voting but you could fill the form.

Certainly he/she is stupid and there are many people come into this category one way or other.

But I expect an answer in this forum.

Thanks.

Re: Re: Registered Voter

If one falsly files to register to vote, it is a crime and will have serious consequences with respect to immigration benefits.

I would appreciate if any senior member or Mr. Khanna answer this.

What should we do? Should we go back to the SS Office and get it cancelled or just leave it like that?

Thanks.

I think he should contact his lawyer that much I can suggest you.

I don't want to discuss/tell what was done but important thing is What is to be done now.

Good Louck to your friend.

This is darn amusing:)-adds a new layer to the immigrant adventure!;) If anybody has "unwittingly" registered himself/herself as an US citizen (eligible to vote), you should instantly relocate to CA--maybe therein lies your salvation....