Regarding PRs needing a VISA.

gumnam_guy

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

All of you who are curious about this new VISA requirement, I have a little story of my own.

Today I had an interview with US and Canadian Immigration people for my NEXUS CARD( it is a card for frequent commuters using which we don't have to show our visa or passport until unless asked.)

As I was talking to the US Immigration officer, he told me that PRs DO NOT require a VISA to enter the USA AS OF NOW. They stopped giving that doc which said that we need visa from Jan 1, 2003.

But he also told me that they are planning to bring this rule but was unsure when. Since I have a NEXUS card, he told me that they would give me a call if this new rule comes in to place.

So good news is, we don't need a VISA as of now. :)

Wish you the very best.

Regards,
Gumnam Guy

I sincerely hope that siddiqi101 will stop freaking out after readind your message about the VISA requirement to enter the US. :)

They are both saying the same thing!

Vault,

I think that both of them are saying that a visa will be required after January 1st, no difference!

logicators

I guess I am poor in understanding English!!

"As I was talking to the US Immigration officer, he told me that PRs DO NOT require a VISA to enter the USA AS OF NOW. They stopped giving that doc which said that we need visa from Jan 1, 2003."

From the above my understanding is that as of now we do not require a visa, and INS is not handing out the flyer which stated that a VISA is required to enter the US from 01.01.2003, but it will be required sometime in the future.

I sincerely hope that you guys are right about this new rule. I have been looking every where to find out updates about this law. I guess i can rest easy now.

Too Late!!

I just got my H1B VISA on Monday, I am a PR working in Buffalo and living in Niagara Falls, Canada...I went in for the interview at Toronto..and the VISA process was easy although, the officer had a lot of questions eventually she gave me the VISA, she also insisted I get a B1/B2 in case I have to enter USA to visit for other than work. She said H1b might not be acceptable for a visit other than work at the border, especialyy when you are travelling with your family...sounds ridiculous but what the hell..I went ahead and got a B1 / B2 as well, she gave it for 10 freakin years. I did not want to risk it and wait until the last minute..I had some vacation days left so I used it so I can have a peace of mind...especially with the holidays coming and and travel plans...

COuld you please telll me what document you took with you while applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa in Toronto. I mean what did consular ask for? as far as document are concerned. Please help. I am in the same boat as you are .

Don't worry guys... There is no such law right now. May be it will come in the near future but who knows, when it's gonna come. Rest assured, stop worring.

Wish you the very best.

Gumnam

To Siddiqi101

Siddiqi101...
Listen friend, I am not sure when your appointment is...but just take the following:
1. All education related docs (transcripts...diplomas & degrees)
2. I-797 approval document (original) in fact they will take this document and return it with your VISA the next day.
3. Copy of your complete I-129, she will actually read through the petition (she did mine for a couple of minutes)
4. A letter from your employer (mine just said I was a current emplyoyee and my salary was so and so and plus a contact phone number, they actually keep this document)
5. Some recent pay stubs, she will return this at the window.
These were the only documents she reviewed for me but it is advised to take also:
6. Bank recent statements
7. House papers if you own in CANADA
she may ask you some questions like, why are you working in US and not in CANADA?, I said, if the right opportuntiy arrives I will. Another question was why not just move to US, I said I currently prefer to be a resident of CANADA for personal reasons...(she want inquire futher...)...personal could mean anything from health reasons to caring for a old friend or family member...finally, if you are lucky like another friend of mine you might get an officer who might not ask you anything and just a smile and say "pick your passport tomorrow"...all and all I am positive they cannot reject or refuse you for any reason..I also realized it is more so just a hassle, than anything to worry about...I did it because it was not worth loosing sleep over in the end...Good Luck...

Hello Friends ,

We went to canada this thanks giving weekend. While going it took 30 mins for landing process(Signing on Landing documents, PR CARD nad Customs).
While comingback we gave all I-797 approvals(keeping latest on top ) to INS officer at POE. My visa on passport is expired long back(Same with white I-94 ) .But I have valid approvals. The officer didnot asked us anything, except some common question like bringing items from canada.

So dont be panic while coming from Canada.

Good luck