Regarding 2021 N-400 interview

MacMike

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My N-400 interview will be going in Feb, 2021(as per estimated waiting time says). I am filling tax each year and done for 2019. When I will attend N-400 interview in Feb, Do I need to have already filed tax for 2020, and I need to carry that in interview? 2020 tax deadline would be 2021 April-15 still, so it can be wait or not ?

Is that 5 year tax rule applies from 2019 when I applied or from 2020 when I am interviewing?

You are only expected to have filed for that year if it is after the filing deadline. So 2019 return will be fine.

Filing deadline could be April 15 or October 15 if you have filed an extension. You are not legally expected to show anything until then.

Thank you for reply. Do USCIS keep each tax records Photo-copy or scan or they just ask casually ? How many pages I need to take like whole state, local and federal 1040 or just tax transcript ?

Thank you for reply. Do USCIS keep each tax records Photo-copy or scan or they just ask casually ? How many pages I need to take like whole state, local and federal 1040 or just tax transcript ?
Depends on your case/the officer. Some people don’t get asked for them at all. My IO kept copies of mine.
You just need the IRS tax transcripts.

My IO gave me a hard time about other things but did not ask a single additional question about taxes apart from the Yes/No question on the N400. I think it depends on the adjudicator. I’m glad he didn’t because I don’t want my tax information out there and my taxes are quite complicated with several schedules and pass thru’s

My IO gave me a hard time about other things but did not ask a single additional question about taxes apart from the Yes/No question on the N400. I think it depends on the adjudicator. I’m glad he didn’t because I don’t want my tax information out there and my taxes are quite complicated with several schedules and pass thru’s
They don’t care about the details of your taxes, they just want the proof that you’ve filed.

They don’t care about the details of your taxes, they just want the proof that you’ve filed.

The “proof” they ask for (tax statement) has most of the meat isn’t it?!? My tax statement has final numbers of each schedule filed. So the tax statement is like 4 pages long while the actual taxes go over 100+ pages. The yearly account summary from IRS can also be the proof but I read on here that the IO’s don’t accept it. But anyway, I was never asked anything about the taxes or for any proof, so I have no reason to complain here

The “proof” they ask for (tax statement) has most of the meat isn’t it?!? My tax statement has final numbers of each schedule filed. So the tax statement is like 4 pages long while the actual taxes go over 100+ pages. The yearly account summary from IRS can also be the proof but I read on here that the IO’s don’t accept it. But anyway, I was never asked anything about the taxes or for any proof, so I have no reason to complain here
Huh? They just want the tax transcript. That’s it. They neither have the time nor training, nor is it of any relevance to them, to look at any details. All they want to do is check the box to confirm that you did in fact file taxes. The only “detail” they would care about would be if you owe overdue taxes to the IRS, and if so I think you are supposed to have arranged a payment plan before you interview.

Many people consider detailed financial records as a private matter. Even the IRS is not allowed to share this information with anyone without a sub-poena. Currently Trump is fighting a similar subpoen (for different reasons of course). It doesn’t matter if they read it or not. Technically the IRS account summary should be enough as it shows whether you owe any taxes or not. Also, I heard that they don’t return the transcript to you but put it in the file

Huh? They just want the tax transcript. That’s it. They neither have the time nor training, nor is it of any relevance to them, to look at any details. All they want to do is check the box to confirm that you did in fact file taxes. The only “detail” they would care about would be if you owe overdue taxes to the IRS, and if so I think you are supposed to have arranged a payment plan before you interview.
Susie,Do you mean from IRS website I can get proof of taxes for 5 years? Can you send more info in how to do that? Thanks

Susie,Do you mean from IRS website I can get proof of taxes for 5 years? Can you send more info in how to do that? Thanks

You can download the transcripts here https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
The tax return transcript is the one they say you should use for any immigration /USCIS related purposes, but it is only available for current year + 3 years prior. I printed the tax account transcript for the 5th year preceding. IO was fine with that.

You can download the transcripts here https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
The tax return transcript is the one they say you should use for any immigration /USCIS related purposes, but it is only available for current year + 3 years prior. I printed the tax account transcript for the 5th year preceding. IO was fine with that.
Thank you. Is it free or I pay for it? Need to creat an account? Is there a special kind of transcript or it’s one option? Thanks again

Many people consider detailed financial records as a private matter. Even the IRS is not allowed to share this information with anyone without a sub-poena. Currently Trump is fighting a similar subpoen (for different reasons of course). It doesn’t matter if they read it or not. Technically the IRS account summary should be enough as it shows whether you owe any taxes or not. Also, I heard that they don’t return the transcript to you but put it in the file
Dude, you can choose your battles to fight. I think you’re being a little paranoid, but whatever. If he is happy to give them the transcript that’s his choice too.

Last edited:
Thank you. Is it free or I pay for it? Need to creat an account? Is there a special kind of transcript or it’s one option? Thanks again
It is free, and you do need to create an account as there is a process to go through to prove your identity- I don’t recall all the details of what they require now, sorry - I did mine around a year ago. There are 4 types of transcripts (I think), they explain what each is used for, the “tax return transcript“ is the one for uscis.

It is free, and you do need to create an account as there is a process to go through to prove your identity- I don’t recall all the details of what they require now, sorry - I did mine around a year ago. There are 4 types of transcripts (I think), they explain what each is used for, the “tax return transcript“ is the one for uscis.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the valued information.

Dude, you can choose your battles to fight. I think you’re being a little paranoid, but whatever. If he is happy to give them the transcript that’s his choice too.

At no point did I suggest that @DV immigrant or anyone else should not give their tax transcripts. I made a comment about myself and about the USCIS policy. From my post above - “I’m glad he didn’t because I don’t want my tax information out there and my taxes are quite complicated with several schedules and pass thru’s”

I could go into details why businesses are incorporated in states and regions that provide a level of anonymity such as NV, DE, WY, cayman etc but this is an immigration and not a tax forum. But believe me it’s not paranoia. I just follow the guidance of my CPA and investment adviser.