Refused to activate Permanent Resident status at POE

Idlemind

I am a Canadian citizen with a US immigrant visa - sponsored by my parents. I was hoping go activate my permanent resident status on my Christmas trip to the parents.

We usually just drive over the border but this time we went inside to have the paper work processed.

The officer asked me if I was moving to the US today and I replied honestly that no not right now but that I am doing a job search and will move as soon as I find one.

He did not like that answer! He was like I don't understand why you would want to uproot your family and move. He gave me this whole schpeel about having to start at the bottom and working my way up. I am not sure what the issue was, he didn't think that I would move to the US?

At the end he refused to open the envelopes to activate my permanent resident status.

I am just wondering if I just got a CBP person on a power trip or is this the usual experience.

Any advise on what I could have done differently - other not saying that I am moving today :) - would be appreciated.

May be I would benefit from other immigrants experience at POE.

Thanks.

I am a Canadian citizen with a US immigrant visa - sponsored by my parents. I was hoping go activate my permanent resident status on my Christmas trip to the parents.

We usually just drive over the border but this time we went inside to have the paper work processed.

The officer asked me if I was moving to the US today and I replied honestly that no not right now but that I am doing a job search and will move as soon as I find one.

He did not like that answer! He was like I don't understand why you would want to uproot your family and move. He gave me this whole schpeel about having to start at the bottom and working my way up. I am not sure what the issue was, he didn't think that I would move to the US?

At the end he refused to open the envelopes to activate my permanent resident status.

I am just wondering if I just got a CBP person on a power trip or is this the usual experience.

Any advise on what I could have done differently - other not saying that I am moving today :) - would be appreciated.

May be I would benefit from other immigrants experience at POE.

Thanks.
You said you didn’t want to move on that trip, so he didn’t activate your LPR status. Maybe you weren’t specific enough or maybe there is some issue with Canadians trying to commute on a green card, but technically I don’t think you can fault him for not activating you when you said you are not actually taking up permanent residence yet.

Actually he did you a favor and saved you some hassle, if he had activated you now you would have to file IRS returns for 2017 too.

There's your answer.
You didn't ask to be admitted as an LPR, and you rightfully weren't.

Thanks for responding.

What do people do in cases where they are not entirely ready to move but the IV is going to expire soon?

Is there a requirement to stay a minimum period after landing?

Would they activate my LPR status if I say want to activate it but have a return ticket within 3 days? Would it matter if my return ticket was for after 30 days?

Has anyone successfully activated their LPR status with a return ticket?

I am just trying to figure out what the expectation is and other peoples experience when they land.

Thanks.

Yes people have done all these things often - we did that initially. Normally they don’t ask if you want to activate, they just assume you do. So your case is kind of odd and I’m wondering what you said to make them ask you that?

There’s no minimum period to stay. I’d suggest go through, hand over visa packet without volunteering anything, and if they ask you anything simply say “ I’m immigrating”, which is not dishonest. If they bring up the return ticket (unlikely), “I still have some things to wrap up in Canada so need to return for that” - again not dishonest.