Refugee Travel Document

Cypher99

Hey everyone, My situation is my wife. She has political asylum from Colombia and currently living in the U.S. An emergency trip back to Colombia has presented itself. Hey mom has little time and her last wish is to see my wife and our 10 month old son. We have submitted her Refugee Travel Document to a company that will expedite the document and have it done in 6 to 8 weeks. What I am wondering is if we do get the travel document, will there be any problems coming back to the U.S.
We would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. Thank you all. :)

Why getting a RTD? I think u should try Advace Parole if she has her I485 pending and a valid passport.

The problem is not whether she could come back to US, but whether she is able to get inside and/or out of Columbia.

Hey, I know people form Colombia who have gone back through a 3rd country, for instance Peru or Ecuador. This is only in an extraordinary circumstance though. I think you can get a special parole from USCIS but the RTD alone is not enough if it's not accompanied by something else. Most people in this forum don't know anything about legally going back to your home country because of compelling reasons. My previous advice is only if you exhaust all legal means.You need to consult an attorney on this one. For the rest of the forum people , please once again don't start arguments about going back to home countries, the law of the land and blah, blah. I won't respond..
Good luck

Cypher99 said:
Hey everyone, My situation is my wife. She has political asylum from Colombia and currently living in the U.S. An emergency trip back to Colombia has presented itself. Hey mom has little time and her last wish is to see my wife and our 10 month old son. We have submitted her Refugee Travel Document to a company that will expedite the document and have it done in 6 to 8 weeks. What I am wondering is if we do get the travel document, will there be any problems coming back to the U.S.
We would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. Thank you all. :)

obtain legal counsel. Yes it could be a big deal especially since it appears that you are still an asylee. You need the advice of an immigration attorney.

amtbooks said:
The problem is not whether she could come back to US, but whether she is able to get inside and/or out of Columbia.

As per my understanding Columbia is still a democracy, even the president was here in Texas with Mr. Bush in his ranch (saw that in yesterday's news)getting inside and\out shouldn't be a problem (in terms of personal security at the columbian airport checkpoint, I'm not talking about CIS) , if the asylum claim on this case is based on the government persecution or if it is coming from a rebel group I would think that it makes a big difference for the USCIS.

I can't think about compelling reasons stronger than a dying mother's last wish.

Refugee travel document

hello everyone, i am from botswana but living in argentina as a refugee, i have a refugee travel document and am planning a trip to canada in january, my country of citizen didn't require visa to canada but i don't know if i can use my refugee travel document to travel to canada, plz any help would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance...

either dont travel or if very hopeless than when u return, bring all the proof of why u had to go to ur COP, like medical, god forbid death certificate, seriois illness report, otherwise U JUST STEPPED ONE TIME CLOSER TO GETTING ASYLUM REVOKED AND PUTTING URSELF IN HELL IN US. becareful

Refugee travel document

hello everyone, i am from botswana but living in argentina as a refugee, i have a refugee travel document and am planning a trip to canada in january, my country of citizen didn't require visa to canada but i don't know if i can use my refugee travel document to travel to canada, plz any help would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance...
i thought this asylum section is about us asylum not other countrie's asylum forum?

The travel documents are issued to the people who want to travel, but cannot get a passport from their country of nationality. If you are in the United States in a valid refugee status, or obtained permanent residence as a direct result of refugee in the U.S. you may apply for a refugee travel document. It is necessary for all the applicants for a Refugee Travel Document or a Reentry Permit, to complete biometrics at an Application Support Center.

Is your wife an LPR, or is that still pending? If she is, it would be better for her to travel on her passport and using her GC, after which she can explain with documentation during her citizenship interview as to why she went to her COP.