Refugee travel document and National passport

Zamjeu

Hi I applied for a RTD last year but when i went to the airport i could not travel because the country i was traveling to requires a visa if i have to travel with the rtd. I postponed my trip for. aweek and had my cousin apply for a passport for me from my COP and DHL it over. With my passport, i didnt need a visa. Now i want to apply for another RTD and i am scared that will be an issue because i just noticed that it asks questions if i received benefits including passport from my COP. my LPR application is pending and i really need to travel. Has that been an issue for anyone? any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

This is a complex issue. There are many threads here dealing with this. The best bet is that as a LPR, obtained through Asylum, avoid dealing with COP until citizenship is procured. But of course, there are always issues. For example, I had to re-new my COP passport, for business reasons because USCIS took more than 6 months to process my RTD. Luckily, I have not used the COP passport yet, and i don't carry it with me anywhere. Of course, if I have no choice in the next 12 months I will use it. Other people have renewed their COP passport, even travelled back to COP, etc...just depends on how risk tolerant you are. + Be ready to explain all the COP contact you have had during the statutory period during your citizenship interview. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have searched the uSCIS website and saw that if i applied for COP passport whilst being an asylee my RTD application may be deniable. So in short asylee should not apply for COP passport.

Thank you for your reply. I have searched the uSCIS website and saw that if i applied for COP passport whilst being an asylee my RTD application may be deniable. So in short asylee should not apply for COP passport.
The easy answer is you have to apply a visa on your RTD even you dont need visa on your COP passport.

These are two separate processes: When you apply for an RTD, your COP doesn't know it. Similarly, generally, when you apply for a passport, there is no way USCIS will find out. Therefore, your RTD can't be denied because you applied for your COP passport. These are completely two separate processes.

lee
Hi I applied for a RTD last year but when i went to the airport i could not travel because the country i was traveling to requires a visa if i have to travel with the rtd. I postponed my trip for. aweek and had my cousin apply for a passport for me from my COP and DHL it over. With my passport, i didnt need a visa. Now i want to apply for another RTD and i am scared that will be an issue because i just noticed that it asks questions if i received benefits including passport from my COP. my LPR application is pending and i really need to travel. Has that been an issue for anyone? any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

You should file Form I-131 for a Refugee Travel Document BEFORE you leave the United States. If you do not file for a Refugee Travel Document before you leave the United States. USCIS has the discretion to decide whether to accept the Form I-131 filing abroad. https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM020307.html
Asylees without GC don't have any other option other than wait for Physical green card or Refugee Travel Document. Don't travel with COP passport without a green card! Don't travel using both Documents - COP passport and RTD. If it is not necessary for you to travel internationally, it is always best to delay travel until you have received your green card.
Cases are very different but the writings on the law are clear.

These are two separate processes: When you apply for an RTD, your COP doesn't know it. Similarly, generally, when you apply for a passport, there is no way USCIS will find out. Therefore, your RTD can't be denied because you applied for your COP passport. These are completely two separate processes.
If you are keen with Form I-131 for a Refugee Travel Document, There is a question 3 that asks about COP benefits and that is it unless you lie

I do NOT recommend this risky type of action though. This is a risk you want to avoid the hustle with USCIS and CBP is not worth it, I have seen US citizens with lost passport roughened by crazy dramas at airports. What about any asylee?

What if your Passport from COP disappears abroad, Will you go to USCIS field office, US consulate or COP consulate for help?

PS: Please do consult an attorney before moving traveling outside the United States

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I have decided to cancel my travel until I get the GG god willing.