Referal Bonus for H1B

yabadabadoo

Registered Users (C)
Hi:
I am working on H1B since last 1 and 1/2 year. Last year one company contacted me asking me if I could refer someone I know, for a position they had in their company. I referred my friend for the opening and after interview, he landed up with the job. The company sent me a $500 check as referral to me. I DID deposit the check. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing, since the company that sent me the referral check is NOT the company which sponsored my H1.
1.) Have I done something dreadfully wrong? If yes, will this have an impact on my future immigration and/or stamping?
2.) As what should I declare this referral fee as when I file for my taxes?

Kindly reply back.

Thank you.

Nothing wrong in accepting $500 as referral fees. Just show it in your tax return and pay the required taxes.

yabadabadoo said:
Hi:
I am working on H1B since last 1 and 1/2 year. Last year one company contacted me asking me if I could refer someone I know, for a position they had in their company. I referred my friend for the opening and after interview, he landed up with the job. The company sent me a $500 check as referral to me. I DID deposit the check. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing, since the company that sent me the referral check is NOT the company which sponsored my H1.
1.) Have I done something dreadfully wrong? If yes, will this have an impact on my future immigration and/or stamping?
2.) As what should I declare this referral fee as when I file for my taxes?

Kindly reply back.

Thank you.