REF question

jw

I filed my I140 (NIW) to CSC on Sep. 12, 2000. I got REF today. It raised the questions about "how will his/her (as an individual worker) continued or future employment in this field accomplish these goals on a national levels" and " what are the beneficiary\'s specific plan?". In the last paragraph of the letter, they spefically point out that more specific evidence "might include, current letters or affidavits from recognized government or research organizations and/or recognized major agencies or academic institutions verififying......". To my understanding, INS want more supporting letters. If i get more letters from people in NIH, Mass. General Hospital, other universities, can these letters help and to what extent? Do I need to provide additional materials? I submitted 5 letters when i filed the petition. Please give me your advice, tips. thank you in advance! BTW, how long will it take for INS to make a decision after i submit the supporting materials?

Jin

No Title

Yes, the letters will help to big extent. In particular those from NIH, those from "independent" experts (not supervisers or co-workers), and those that say you are one of the very top in your area.

Also, address specifically each of the questions in RFE, tell them where you are going to work in the future.

Good luck!

No Title

Hi jW I saw your message and time frame. You seemed to have filed
your case about two weeks ahead of me (Mine 10/1/01). I havent heard anything from them todate. If you know something about how long it
takes to process/hear for an NIW EB2 category please reply to this
message.
thanks.

No Title

Hi,ooa
I\'ve seen several of your comments on the issue of RFEs.
I filed my EB2 I-140 with NIW on Feb 27, and got RFE on
April 16. The RFE letter only lists the general 7 evidence
requirements for NIW. Is such kind of RFE letter normal
or just indicating something behind.

Thanks.

No Title

It took me almost two months to get more supporting letters as they requested. I just submitted them last week. Haven\'t heard anything yet.

Jin

No Title

Shaodongren,
My comments were mostly based on other posts at this and other forums (I have dealt with only one RFE response my self. :eek:))

I would advise to check the old forum (see also the thread of THIS forum "who plan to do NIW and EB1 by yourself comes here" - currently of March 4, 2001). The old forum was more useful (processing times were longer, people had more time for frustration and analysis :eek:)).

To summarize, usually people advised to deal with 7-point letters as follows:
1. Address each point specifically in your response. Don\'t be afraid to re-frase the same arguments you already submitted (make them stronger if you can). Add any new evidence.
2. Either submit the old materials again, or (like I did) give references to your initial petition.
3. Very useful is to get 1-3 REALLY GOOD letters from "independent" people (not your advisers or collegues) that will say directly (not imply!) that you are exceptional, one of the X% in your field, outstanding, extraordinary, made vital contributions, etc, etc. Do not be afraid to contact people you don\'t know well (or at all). Some of them won\'t write a letter for you, but others will. Those who cited you, or even whom you cited may be the candidates.
3a. Ask them to mention some specifics that you can use in your response, such as to state your awards as very noteworthy awards, your publications as very important, and so on...
4. Cite those letters here and there as evidence to those "points" (some of the points are very similar though).
5. If you have awards, find information about selection criteria, how many competed, and how many awarded - to show how great and unique you are. :eek:)) For instance, you could find it on the web, in organization\'s annual reports, or even get letters from them (if you can still do it in time).
6. If you have publications, you can use Citation Index information about importance of those journals.
7. If you have citations, do the same for journals/persons who cited you (any info that they are very important in your field will work).
If you have MANY citations, this very fact is worth discussion.
8. Be creative! You can find many ways to convince the reader. Think as you are writing about someone else (do not be too shy).

Here is the reference to old forum where I pick up many of the above ideas:
http://dboard.immigration.com
Check these particular threads (no guarantee all of them are useful for you personally):
12/10/99 05:32 PM
12/9/99 03:26 PM
1/17/00 05:19 PM
2/3/00 02:24 PM
2/27/00 05:06 PM
2/24/00 01:37 AM
2/29/00 00:58 AM (Just beware of attorney Thomas Jones mentioned here! :eek:))
3/6/00 06:24 PM
3/1/00 09:22 PM
3/23/00 12:31 PM
3/26/00 01:53 AM

Good luck!
 ooa