Reentry to US on J-1 Visa

kbutler64

I have a question. A friend of mine, a Colombian citizen, is coming to the US on a J-1 visa through a cultural exchange kind of program for the summer. Her J-1 begins on June 5th and ends on August 9th. She has obtained a tourist visa to Canada and would like to travel for several days to Canada, beginning on August 9th. She has an airline ticket to return to Colombia on August 31st from the US.

I have been told by someone at the Department of State that there is no problem for her to travel to Canada and then return to the US. But she wants to be absolutely sure.

Is there any problem, given that her return to the US will be beyond the end of her visa (but not beyond the end of the 30 day grace period)? And is there any place where I can find written proof that there is no problem? In my experience, the people working at the border enforcing the regulations don't necessarily understand the regulations.

Thank you!

I have a question. A friend of mine, a Colombian citizen, is coming to the US on a J-1 visa through a cultural exchange kind of program for the summer. Her J-1 begins on June 5th and ends on August 9th. She has obtained a tourist visa to Canada and would like to travel for several days to Canada, beginning on August 9th. She has an airline ticket to return to Colombia on August 31st from the US.

I have been told by someone at the Department of State that there is no problem for her to travel to Canada and then return to the US. But she wants to be absolutely sure.

Is there any problem, given that her return to the US will be beyond the end of her visa (but not beyond the end of the 30 day grace period)? And is there any place where I can find written proof that there is no problem? In my experience, the people working at the border enforcing the regulations don't necessarily understand the regulations.

Thank you!

I do not have sure written thing for you, but in this forum every one give his opinion which may be wrong or right and the OP should take it with caution. If her DS expired, then she can not return back under any circumstances to US even if the stamp in the passport is still valid. The one month grace period is a time for the J visa holder in the states to pack up and leave during that month and not for anyone already left the US after finishing his/her program to return back and say hah I have one month grace.