Reentry questions- Urgent, need help!!

shsieh01

Registered Users (C)
**I want to relocate to Asia, however, I worry about the GC will be voided if I don't enter U.S. every 6 months?! Should I apply for the reentry permit(I-130) or keep running between u.s. and asia every 6 months? I wish i could acquire the u.s. citizenship after 5 years, so any suggestions for me?

**How long I could stay out of u.s. if i have the reentry permit? Can i apply for multiple times if my first I-130 expired?

Thanks for your help!!
:)

same query

I want to move to my back to India for some time - I've been stressed out a lot and need to get away, and my parents need my help and not being there is stressing me out even more
I have just rcvd my GC a couple of months back - if I take up a job in India and keep coming every 6 months for a visit of a couple of weeks - can I retain my GC if I choose to come back after a couple of years.
In that case do I need to file a reentry permit

Tx

best solution to keep GC

Hi, Cho

we are having same problems -- so we really need the guru to help us.. we miss our home country so badly after GC, need solutions to retain our GC in u.s.

shsieh01 said:
**I want to relocate to Asia, however, I worry about the GC will be voided if I don't enter U.S. every 6 months?! Should I apply for the reentry permit(I-130) or keep running between u.s. and asia every 6 months? I wish i could acquire the u.s. citizenship after 5 years, so any suggestions for me?

**How long I could stay out of u.s. if i have the reentry permit? Can i apply for multiple times if my first I-130 expired?

Thanks for your help!!
:)

First, a minor point. The reentry permit form is I-131 (not I-130). The permit is valid for two years from the date of issue and you can apply for a new one after the first one has expired.

Second, a major point.
Even if you get a reentry permit, it will not help you to keep your GC if you move to another country for good. It does not matter if you visit the US for a few days every 6 months or every four weeks. You still loose your GC. To keep it you need to maintain your permanent residence here, in the U.S. This means that your primary place of work and primary residence must be in the U.S.

A reentry permit allows you to return after a temporary absence of over a year but less than two years. The key word here is "temporary", like a temporary work assignment abroad. If you move out permanently and then try to come back in year (or less than a year) with a reentry permit for a few days, it will not help.

I don't know where you get this idea that it is enough to come to the U.S. every six month for a few days to keep your green card. This is a complete myth!

The way I see it, you have some choices to make. It is certainly a perfectly reasonable choice to move back to your home country or to another country. But you need to understand the consequences regarding your GC and the fact that you can't have it both ways.