Reentry permits, and reentry without the green card

sikander

Registered Users (C)
1) Could someone please tell me how long it takes to obtain a re-entry permit (i-131) to re-enter the US as a permanent resident once one has applied?

2) Also, how can a permanent resident enter and leave the country without a physical green card after the i-551 in the passport, valid for only a year, has expired?

sikander said:
2) Also, how can a permanent resident enter and leave the country without a physical green card after the i-551 in the passport, valid for only a year, has expired?

If you have re-entry permit, that is good for reentry.

Reentry question

I got my reentry permit with 2yrs validity which is also called "White passport" in Nov 2004. I entered US in March for 10days and gone back to India.
Does this lapse my reentry permit or I can use this for multiple entry for 2yrs???? from the date of approval.

thanks

how long did it take you to get your re-entry permit?

sunpad said:
I got my reentry permit with 2yrs validity which is also called "White passport" in Nov 2004.

hi sunpad:
how long did it take you to get your re-entry permit?
thanks

Reentry permit time

The rule is you need to apply for reentry permit before you leave the country. I just applied two days before I left USA. I got the approval after a month. My attorney sent the papers to India.If you don't have have an attorney you can give your indian address it will be sent to you directly.

thanks