Reentry Permit as a Passport

Dr.HPol

I just got my green card from DV Lottery 2023 and need to travel back to my home country to renew my passport. My home country is one of the very few countries in the world that do not renew the passports overseas. The problem is, I am afraid to fly back. It's a dictatorial regime and you cannot predict what is going to happen. There is a risk of them to blacklist me and not let me out of the country.

I heard that some countries accept the reentry permit as a passport. After 17.5 years in the US, I would like to travel internationally. For example, Europe and South America. Can I do it with the reentry permit?

Yes, you can use the Re-entry Permit as an international travel document in lieu of a passport, but you will need to get a visa for each country you are planning to visit (except the countries that allow green card holders to visit visa-free, like Canada, Mexico, and some Central American countries). Not all countries accept Re-entry Permits as travel documents, so you need to check that the countries you are planning to visit are willing to accept Re-entry Permits and willing to issue visas in Re-entry Permits. Also note that Re-entry Permits are only valid for 2 years. See this brochure from USCIS on Re-entry Permits:
You may also want to get a reentry permit if you plan on traveling outside the United States and cannot or do not wish to get a passport from your home country. Many countries throughout the world may allow you to use a reentry permit much like you would use a passport—placing necessary visas and entry and exit stamps in the permit—so you may use it as your main travel document. Be sure to check with any country you plan to visit about specific requirements before you travel.

Yes, you can use the Re-entry Permit as an international travel document in lieu of a passport, but you will need to get a visa for each country you are planning to visit (except the countries that allow green card holders to visit visa-free, like Canada, Mexico, and some Central American countries). Not all countries accept Re-entry Permits as travel documents, so you need to check that the countries you are planning to visit are willing to accept Re-entry Permits and willing to issue visas in Re-entry Permits. Also note that Re-entry Permits are only valid for 2 years. See this brochure from USCIS on Re-entry Permits:
Thank you!

Do you know if there is a list of countries that accept reentry permit in lieu of a passport?

Thank you!

Do you know if there is a list of countries that accept reentry permit in lieu of a passport?
I think most do. Copy-pasting from a thread I started, titled "Re-entry Permit vs Refugee Travel Document"

I found a helpful response on the Visa Journey forum (unfortunately cannot post links, google "Travel documents issued by third countries and territorial entities (Part I)", the first link is home-affairs.ec will have a spreadsheet ). It appears that most countries in EU (except for Malta and Denmark) accept it.

Well, A reentry permit is a travel document that allows U.S. permanent residents to reenter the U.S. after traveling abroad for longer than one year but less than two years. It can also serve as a passport for U.S. permanent residents who have no passport and cannot obtain one from their country of nationality. I am assuming you have US permanent residency. I would suggest you to contact the embassy or consulate of the country you want to visit to confirm their policies and procedures. Some countries may require you to have a valid passport from your home country in addition to the reentry permit. Some countries may also require you to have a visa or an electronic travel authorization to enter their territory