Reentry permit and Naturalization

Yafoulli

Registered Users (C)
My husband is a born USC, we married 2 1/2 years ago . We are currently living in the US , I finally received my GC a few months ago .
How long do will I have to wait to be eligible to apply for Naturalization IF we leave the USA using a valid Reentry Permit : 3 Years minus 90 days = 2 years + 9 months ; or 3 years minus 364 days = 2 years + 1 day ??

Thanks

JoeF said:
The reentry permit has nothing at all to do with naturalization. It only allows you to keep your GC if you are temporarily abroad for over 1 year.
The rules for naturalization eligibility are listed in the "Guide to Naturalization," available on the USCIS website. It depends, among other things, on the actual time spent abroad.

Thanks Joe , I already know that . I have read the "Guide" sereral times.

It says , if I understood correctly, that you can count one year minus one day abroad for the "continous residence" requirement :
4 years and 1 day , instead of 5 years minus 90 days .

My question is :
After coming back to the US with the Reentry permit, instead of waiting 2years + 9 months to apply for naturalization can I apply 2 years + 1 day .

I want to know if this rule applies to me also .

I intend to apply for a Reentry permit because there is a chance that my husband and I will be out of the US for more than one year .

Thanks

Yafoulli said:
My husband is a born USC, we married 2 1/2 years ago . We are currently living in the US , I finally received my GC a few months ago .
How long do will I have to wait to be eligible to apply for Naturalization IF we leave the USA using a valid Reentry Permit : 3 Years minus 90 days = 2 years + 9 months ; or 3 years minus 364 days = 2 years + 1 day ??

Thanks

I am not sure how long you are going to be out of US. Let me tell you my case. In my case after getting GC in few months I went back to India for 2 years with my reentry permit. Now I have applied for N-400 and my interview is scheduled on 5th of Jan, 05.
I went throught he guide and according to that I counted 1 year (from the 2 year I was out if US) in my 5 years calculation (I don't remeber exactly how i caculated it). and so I applied after 4 years living here in US continuously. Though I didn't apply 90 days prior because I called several times to that 800 number and some times they said I can and some said I can not. So I didn't wanted to take a chance for 90 days.

Thank God I didn't do it. Thats why I caleed several time to that 800 # to make sure but I got different answer each time. Why they just don't say I DON'T KNOW ! if they don't know the answer.
Thanks,

amishah said:
I am not sure how long you are going to be out of US. Let me tell you my case. In my case after getting GC in few months I went back to India for 2 years with my reentry permit. Now I have applied for N-400 and my interview is scheduled on 5th of Jan, 05.
I went throught he guide and according to that I counted 1 year (from the 2 year I was out if US) in my 5 years calculation (I don't remeber exactly how i caculated it). and so I applied after 4 years living here in US continuously. Though I didn't apply 90 days prior because I called several times to that 800 number and some times they said I can and some said I can not. So I didn't wanted to take a chance for 90 days.

That is exactly that part of the "guide to Naturalization" I was refering to (stating that you count 364 days for the contunuous residence) . I wanted to know if it applies to US citizen spouses also , after returning for an absence of more than one year with a Reentry Permit .

But apparently someone didn't like my question :rolleyes: or didn't know the answer ;)