Reentry expired

hytex

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I had taken reentry permits couple of years back and they expired in Aug. I had traveled to the US before the expiry and applied for one more as my job keeps me away from the US for some more time. Unfortunately, my wife did not make a trip in time.

We are now planning on traveling to the US in Dec. Some friends say that it should be ok for my wife to travel as it has been only 4-5 months since the reentry permit expired. The fact that I had applied for reentry again and our children are US citizens are also sited as factors in our favor.

Can anyone who can relate to or have info on the subject, please advise on the travel after reentry permit expired.

When was the last time your wife was in the US? If it has been more than a year, the green card by itself will not be valid for reentry. As her reentry permit has expired, she will need to apply for a Returning Resident visa.

What are they talking about "only 4-5 months since the reentry permit expired"? If the reentry permit has expired, it can't be used again. If it was only 4-5 months since her last stay in the US, that's a different matter and she should be able to return to the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
She was out of the country for 2 years + 4 months. Out of which 2 years are covered by the reentry permit. Basically at the end of the 2 year period, she would have a valid document (reentry permit) to enter back to the US and keep her GC intact. The problem is the 4 months period (i.e. after the reentry permit expired). Consulted an Attorney who said we should be ok to enter back as it has only been 4 months since the reentry permit expired. I posted in this forum to learn from anyone who has undergone such experience or is knowledgeable about the matter to advice. Thanks.

Hytex,
Can you please tell what happened at the end? We are in the same boat..would be benefited from your reply.