Recording available for Sept 8 Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

monica1

Administrator
Staff member
Recording available for Sept 8 Conference Call. http://www.immigration.com/free-community-conference-calls

----------------------------------------------------
Conference Dial-in: 1-712-432-3066
Conference Code: 531023
Topic: General Immigration Related Questions
Start Time: 1:55PM, EST
End Time: 3:20 PM, EST
NEXT CALL DATE: Sept 22, 2011

-----------------------------------------------------
NOTE: This call does not mean that we have agreed to represent you or that there is an attorney-client relationship between us. This is merely a community service. You should discuss the specifics of your case with the attorney representing you.

Last edited by a moderator:
State govt confusion for NORI for J1 waiver

Hi Rajeev,

I have started the J1 2 year residency requirement waiver procedure. I have attested copies from the Indian Embassy and
now I have to get NORI for J1 waiver from the state govt, central govt and Passport office. I am totally confused about deciding
which state govt I should approach to. THis is my situation:
I posted my own question to one of the forums regarding
which state govt. to proceed to. I mentioned it clearly that:
1: I was born in a place in UP then (which is now in Uttanchal).
2: My B.Sc. and M.Sc. was in U.P.
3: My Ph.D. was from TIFR, Mumbai but degree was given by IISc,
Bangalore (so on papers my Ph.D. is from Bangalore).
4: My first passport on which I came for J1 had permanent address of Mumbai, Maharashtra
(hostel of my Ph.D. institute where nobody lives any more).
5: My current passport has permanent address of Hyderabad, where my in-laws
live.
6: I do have one bank account in India and thats in Hyderabad.
7: From past 6 years I have been living in US and now in Canada.
8: My parents are still living in Bareilly, UP for past 12 years but I have never lived there and
that address is nowhere in any of my documents.

My question is that which state govt should I approach to for NORI?

My second question is that what other documents do I need to attach for NORI, along with
the attested forms?

Thanks
Sasha

HI
This is regarding my parents travelling back to USA on B2 visa (They dont have greencard , but they have valid visa for 10 years)

They stayed in USA for 1 year --> from "Feb 2010 to Feb 2011" (with 6 months extension approved from Aug 2010 to Feb 2011)

Now we are planning to get them back here in USA to visit us in Sep 2011 and planning to stay for 6 months.

They stayed in USA for 1 year and now after 6 months in INDIA --> we are planning to bring them back for visiting us.
Is it ok to come now (or) do they need to stay in INDIA more than the previous stay , which is 1 year and come back ??

Will they face any issues at port of entry ?

Hello Rajiv,
I recently interviewed for a position in my university for a software programmer position and was extended an offer. I am on H4 and have requested for H1 visa. They say that they are willing to do this but based on past experience it takes them 3-4 months to get approval.
* Is this information correct? Is there any way to expedite the process? Premium processing, etc?
* Is it okay to work on voluntary basis till the H1 approval comes through?
* The project for which they are hiring is a grant-based 8 month project. Will this create any problem to get H1 approval?
* What are the guidelines for H1 transfer while on a university H1?

Thanks again for your help!

Hello,

I entered US on a different visa other than H1. Had a COS to H1. Worked in US on H1 from oct 2008 - Oct 2009 and moved back to India. Got my passport stamped with H1 but didn't use it to go back as got a better job here in India.

Instead of H1 transfer, my new employer filed a new H1 recently as it's been more than 1 year that I am out of US. New H1 got approved last month.

Now, I read somewhere that H1 candidate can travel 10 days prior to the employment start date (Oct 01). The current H1 visa stamped on my passport, with my old employer, is valid until September 23.

Can I use it to travel with new I797 or shall I get a new visa stamped as my employer is asking me to travel on Sept 20? What the law says regarding this and is it really worth taking the risk?

Thanks,
Anjali

good morning sir,
i have a question regarding a citizenship interview:I got my green card through asylum that i got from an immigration judge because i id not apply within the one year frame I was technically in deporttation proceeding.
My question is :should I answer yes or no the the question:have you ever been in deportation proceedind ?and have you ever requested a relief? I am a bit confused .so any explanation of this part of the interview question on the application form for ctizenship will be very helpful.Thanks.

Hi Rajiv, Thank you!
H1-B law related
1. Every time we re-locate out of current geographical location then we need to re-apply H1-B, is that right? What if I have Travel job?
2. What is “H1-B Dependant Company” and what are the consequences for employees?
3. “USCIS black listed companies” – is there a list officially published by USCIS? if so how can we access it?

EAD related
1. “2year AP on the same EAD card”; I have multiple entry AP with more than 120days validity but my EAD is less than 120days so I am applying for EAD/AP renewal, will I still get “2year AP on the same EAD card”? If not how can I request this?
2. EAD renewal instruction says people applied after Jul-30-2007 does not have to pay EAD Renewal feel but folks like me who applied in Jul-2007 fiasco still have to pay ~$350 each year for EAD/AP renewal? This is very unfair law, right?
3. Are the PERM labor applications on hold due to “state wage not published issue”?

Dear Rajiv Sir,

Many thanks for conducting these calls.

I am now a recent MBA graduate on OPT. A friend (US citizen) and myself have identified an opportunity for a business start-up and are keen to pursue it. We intend registering an LLC and investing our own funds in it. Would being on OPT create any issues for me? Also, if I have to travel to India for a few weeks while on OPT, would that be a problem? Finally (and more importantly), how would I continue staying in the US and operating / growing the business here after OPT -- would I be eligible to sponsor my H1? (I was on H1B for some time prior to starting my MBA, then was laid off and left for India.)

Eagerly await your valuable guidance on the call.

Thanks and regards

Rajiv Sir,

A follow-on to my above qs. Continuing from H1, would green card sponsorship later on even be a possibility (provided our start-up succeeds of course)? Apologies for creating a second post.

Many thanks

I-485 pending question

Hello Rajiv, Hope you are doing great.

I wanted to know how we can expedite my pending I-485 process once my dates are current. My EB3 and EB2 both are approved and my company also sent the interfile letter but still there is no update on my pending I-485 status in the online USCIS webpage. This is like two months now after my EB3 (10/2003) and EB2 (05/2011) is approved.

The current status of I-485 is "we sent this case to the Administrative Appeals Office for review. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."

I am not sure what to do now. Do we need to file MOtion to Reopen or wait till they finish AAO review? My priority date is 10/2003 and its current now. My company attorney is saying that we just have to wait and there is not other option. I am willing to take your service and guidance. I read in your immigration.com forums that we can file MTR and also contact Congress Members to get this expedited. Please advice.

Thank you so much.

Hi Rajiv,

I know US Citizens can sponsor parents and they get the green card pretty quick since they fall into the immediate relative category.

Can Green Card holders sponsor parents as well? My mother is alone in India with no one to take care of her. I am a green card holder since August 2010. Is there anyway I can bring her here?

Thanks,
Drew

I got Greencard aug 09th 2011.I am applying GC thru I-130 for my wife who is in india.
With a rough estimate if her PD(priority date)is today when can she expect her Greencard?
I think she will fall in F2A category.I recently heard that wifes and kids are exempted from per country quota if so does this benefit my wife here?

Thanks
suresh

Criteria for H1 filing - Job Requirements

Hi Rajiv

what kind of positions would be eligible for an H1-B visa approval/ Would a technical support analyst position be qualified for
an H1 visa? What are the hurdles we may likely face and what kind of details would uscis look for in such a position in
order to approve an H1 petition for it?

Thanks and Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.