RECORDING available for download for Sept 10 Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

monica1

Administrator
Staff member
Recording for this call can be downloaded from http://www.immigration.com/page/free-community-conference-calls.

Please dial in on the day of the call to attend and ask any questions at the end of the call.
-------------------
Topic: General Immigration Related Questions
Start Time: 1:55PM, EST
End Time: 3:20 PM, EST
Next call Date: Sept 24, 09
Conference Access Number: 1-785-686-1324
Conference Passcode: 552855

NOTE: This call does not mean that we have agreed to represent you or that there is an attorney-client relationship between us. This is merely a community service. You should discuss the specifics of your case with the attorney representing you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. Rajiv,

I have a couple of questions regarding W2/Tax.

1) I'm being sponsored for Green Card in EB2 category by my employer. I have been on H1-B visa since 2004, and I do not have w2 (tax) from previous company for year 2004 and 2005. I have all W-2's since 2006 without any gaps in pay stubs.

I would like to know if there will be any issues when I file I-485 or I-140 or during any stage of Green Card Process.? If there's an issue, please let me know how to resolve it.

2) Would USCIS ever ask for Previous years W-2's at any stage of green card processing? If they do, then how many years of previous W-2's would they generally ask?

Please advise me.

Thanks in advance!
-Nithya.

Dear Rajiv Ji,

During last conference call, I asked you 2 Questions regarding PERM application. You asked me to send email to Mr. Suman and Mr. Mathew. I sent email via your contact us forum.

Mr. Mathew responded to my question and thanks a lot to you and him.

However, my second question is still unanswered. Please help me with my second question. I'm posting my question again.

QUESTION#) On form ETA 9089 ("Section F. Prevailing Wage Information"), my lawyer mentioned that PERM Determination date and Expiration date are respectively 04/21/2009 and 07/20/2009.

Please let me know if my PERM application needed to be filed during that period? What happens if PERM is not filed during that period because my lawyer did not file PERM application yet as of today (Sept 2, 2009)?

By the way, please see advertisement dates mentioned on Form ETA 9089

- Date of first Advertisement identified = 05/31/2009
- Date of second newspapaer Advertisement or date of publication of journal=06/07/2009
- Dates posted on employer web site 05/12/2009 to 07/13/2009
- Dates listed with job search website 05/31/2009 to 06/13/2009
- Dates advertised with local or ethnic newspaper 06/06/2009 to 06/12/2009

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
Bhati.

Hello Rajiv Sir!
How are you doing? I have a couple of quick questions regarding Green Card.

(1) My attorney recently filed my PERM Application and gave me DOL case number. How will I be able to view my PERM case status online? If so, kindly provide me the URL/website where I can input my DOL case number to check my status online.

(2) My company is an American Company with 5000 employees. I'm working as a full-time and permanent employee. During this economic tough times, getting PERM approval from DOL is really difficult as there are no jobs available in the market.

However, I heard that since I'm working for an American company (IT company), I have more advantage over other non-american IT companies because DOL scrutinity is very less and have more chances of getting PERM application certified and approved. Is this true?

Please throw some light on this topic.

(3) My attorney wanted to file my PERM with new system (iCERT) on Sept 1, 2009. However, She could not log into iCERT portal and had some issues. For this reason, she told me that she went ahead and filed my PERM in the first week of Sept 2009 with current system itself.

I totally trust her but I'm wondering how she could file my PERM, when new system is available from Sept 1, 2009 and this iCERT is the only means of filing PERM from Sept 1 2009. I thought DOL went ahead and disabled current system (old system) from Sept 1?.

As we know, initially, launch date of iCERT has been deplayed. By any chance, did they delay the launch of iCERT again? Please confirm.

Thank you very much for your time!!
Priya.

Hi Rajiv ji.
Namaste. Thanks for this excellent service. Please see my questions below that I'm posting on behalf of my 2 friends.

(1) My friend is working for company A. My friend is holding H1-B visa and he is on his 6th year of H1-B Visa. His PERM and I-140 got approved with company A.

He got a project for only 6 months with another company B. If he transfers his H1-B Visa to Company B from Company A, then what are his options with Company B in regards to his Green Card processing and Visa extensions.

(2) My second friend who has completed 3 years of H1-B Visa with company A applied for a transfer to company B. It has been 9 months and the case is still in pending status. Company B's attorney says that my friend can apply for a fresh new 6 year H1-B visa (under quota) instead of waiting for an H1-B visa transfer approval. Is it possible to apply for a fresh 6 year H1-B visa when my friend has already been on his first H1-B and completed 3 years?

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
Karthik.

Hi Rajiv Ji

I got a I 140 RFE on 3 Year education.

My Background:

Education:
B Sc Computer Science ( 3 Year degree )

Work Exp:
2002 - 2007 Work Exp in India
2007 - Current in USA

Labor filed in Aug 2008
Labor approved in April 2009

My I 140 was filed in Aug 2009 under EB-3 ( Skilled Worker )

Please help me Sir.

RFE:
The ETA submitted with the petition requires a bachelor's degree, which means a 4-year degree. It does not allow for a combination of 3-year degree and experience. In order to qualify with this ETA, then you must submit documentary evidence that the beneficiary has a4 year bachelors degree.

Please advise me sir how can I answer this query. GOD Bless You.

Hi,

How long it takes to get green card with H1 visa with a BSC in accounting with Pakistani back ground.

How long do one have to wait after getting on H1 to apply for labor certification.

Can one file greencard by getting a sponsorship through business. (store manager for special purpose).

Thanks

Good morning,

I'm a naturalized US citizen. I am planning on sponsoring permanent residency for my sister's family. I understand that the process takes over a decade. In the meantime, would my sister's family be able to obtain a visitor's visa to visit us?

Would a pending application for the permanent residency be a reason for denial of their visitor visa application at the US consulate in India.

If we wait to file for their permanent residency after successfully obtaining a visitor visa and then file their permanent residency application, would they be denied entry at the POE due to an impending permanent residency application with USCIS due to the conflict of interest, immigrant vs non-immigrant intent?

Thanks
RK

GC application for parents

Hi Rajiv...My brother is a US citizen for 5 years now and he wants to sponsor our parents for the Green Card. He has held a steady job for the last 14 years and upto July of this year he was making 75k+ but in August his company got sold and are now paying him only 25k. He has a wife and 2 kids who are dependents. Fortunately he has enough savings to see him through this time. He is actively looking to find another job so he can get back to making what he was. Questions I have are:

1) Is there a minimum amount he has to be making to be able to sponsor our parents? If he was to sponsor them now, will he need last years W2/paychecks or will he need to provide the most recent ones?

2) After they have been sponsored, how long does this process usually take if the application is filed when they are in India? They are currently here on a tourist visa and will be going back to India in November.

3) After they have been sponsored, what is the requirement for maintaining the GC as far as staying in the US is concerned? Does it require spending atleast 180 days/year here in the US?

4) Do you recommend going through a lawyer for the application process or can this be done on our own?

This is a different question for GC through employment. My wife's employers have started her GC process and so far they have reached the stage where they have filed prevailing wage request with the SWA. Her 6 years on the H1B expire on Dec 31st 2010. Is the minimum 365 days to start the GC taken from the date the prevailing wage request is filed with the SWA OR from the date the PERM will be filed?

Thanks.

Parents' green cards

Dear Rajiv,

My parents got green cards in early 2008. They went back to their home country in March this year and planned to come back in June. When in their home country, My mother was diagnosed with a medical condition that requires a lengthy treatment, which means they won't be able to come back to US within a year. Is there any way for them to keep their green cards? I know they cannot apply for re-entry permit 'cause they are not in the US right now.

Thanks for your time!

Dear Rajiv,

Thank you for this community service.

I'm an Indian citizen with Bachelors degree from US University (studied in US under F1 visa).

H1B from Company A expired on Sept 30 2008
H1 petition from Company B and Company C approved on October 1 2008.

Appeared at US Consulate at Dubai for stamping of visa with Comapny C's petition in March 2009 and was found ineligible under 221(g). They believe the petition contains inaccurate information.

During the interview the VO required a 'letter of projects' directly from the client and a job description from the petitioner. I provided a copy of the job description that was submitted with the H1 petition. I could not get a letter direclty form the client so I provided them with a copy of Company C's contract with the client which was also submitted with the H1 petition.

The case has not yet reached USCIS and my case status on Consulate website still shows 'pending'. I emailed the Consulate in June 2009 asking for a time frame and they said under section 222(f) they are unable to provide me with a time frame for the processing of this case.

I want to know:

1. What are the chances of getting H1 stamped from Company C? My friend suggested that I can apply for 'Transfer of H1' petition to another Consulate e.g. Mumbai or even withdraw my petition for visa.

2. Can I submit for visa stamping with Company B's petition and what are the chances of visa being approved?

3. What are the chances of a B1/B2 visa being approved with the H1 visa still pending? I have previously traveled to US on B1 before coming for college studies on F1.

4. I was on the bench with Company A for sometime and they have withheld approximately 1 months salary until I give them a letter of resignation backdating to when I was put on the bench. Is this legal? Do I have any recourse with the Department of Labor without affecting any future Green Card application?

Thanks for your time!

Dear Mr. Khanna,

Thank you so much for taking this question.

We came to the US in year 2000. Filed for Employment based Green Card/ Labor Cert in Feb 2002 thru a company called ABC based in NJ. We received our Labor in Oct 2004 and filed for I 140 which cleared in 3 days and filed for the I-485 in Dec 2004. The USCIS recd the application on Jan 3rd, 2005. The visa numbers were current in Dec 2004 (when the application was sent in) but were retrogressed in Jan 2005 (when USCIS recd the same). The USCIS should have rejected the application but they accepted it. They subsequently gave us 3 EAD cards for three years. We had an interview for adjustment of status in Oct 2005, but we were told that the visa numbers were not current and we should receive our green card once the visa numbers became current. This was all done when we were in MI. We moved to VA in Dec 2005 and changed the employer using AC 21 rule. The new company was called XYZ. Till Nov 2006, I had my h1 B valid but I started working on the EAD and did not get the H1 B extended. Then again in Jan 2008 we were called again for an interview for adjustment of status but there they informed us that our I 485 application was accepted in error and the I 485 was denied. AT this point we had no valid visa to fall back upon. But with our Lawyer, we filed for the H1 B extension thru XYZ on Approved i-140 before the rejection notice came to us. The H1 B extension petition was approved but we did not receive the I-94 with it. We filed the H1 B extension petition again, this time on humanitarian grounds that it was the mistake from the USCIS and not just once but twice, the USCIS gave us the H1 B approval with I-94 in March 2008 (this is now valid thru March 2011). Meanwhile we filed the Labor cert (PERM) again thru XYZ in Dec 2008. So far till now (Sept 2009), we have not received the labor approval.

Q. If our old priority date becomes current, would you suggest that we file the I 485 thru our old company ABC? If yes, do we need to transfer the h1 B to ABC and when?

Q. Is there any such rule/ regulation that a consultant can not go from W2 to Corp to Corp arrangement for receiving payments, from the same company (XYZ) without a gap on the same client contract?

Q. My wife also filed for the H1 B in 2008 and received an approval with I-94 and started working in Oct 2008, if we receive EAD and she starts to work on EAD, does she save time on H1 B? and how does she let the USCIS know that her H1 B time should not be used while she works on EAD.
If she needs to get back on H1 B for any reason could she do that and how?

Your help is deeply appreciated and has guided us thruough this difficult process in the past. We are grateful for that and hope that your advise will guide us again.

Thank You.

Mr. Khanna,

I am on H1B from October 2008 with Employer A prior to which I was on LIB ( Nov 2006 to Sep 2008). Starting October 2008 I was aggressively looking for projects and got a project in April 2009. My employer A had not paid me from October 2008 to April 2009. He has now paid me for May, June and July 2009. Employer A only runs the payroll every month and pays me only when he receives the payment from the vendor through whom I got my current project. He has not yet generated the paystub for August 2009.
The project which I am working on currently will end in November 2009 so I started looking for projects and have ended up obtaining an offer through a recruiter to whom I had linked up another company -'Employer B' who is willing to do my H1transfer.
My question is that
1) ' Is it a safe option to do a H1 transfer from Employer A to employer B given that i do not have paystubs from October 2008 to April 2009?'. Will this raise a red alert at the USCIS ? If so will my petition get rejected or would i be asked to go back to my home country and reenter to US after getting my visa stamped and what are the chances of my visa getting approved ?
2) Or should I just forget about the H1 transfer and continue to be with my current employer and link him up with the recruiter until I have some more legitimate paystubs , given that my husband is due to apply for his citizenship in January 2010 and will be applying for a family based green card for me soon after he gets his citizenship.

Thanks for your help and guidance.

Sandy

doctors dilemma

Dear Mr.Khanna

I am a physician from india (MBBS'05)
I have finished my residency (internal medicine 2006-2009) and joined as
assistant professor in a big univ. this year, so my 4th year of H1B visa
started in July 2009.
The division chief here has offered me fellowship training (3 yr duration) if I work here as asst. professor for 3 years.
I plan to have the univ. file for my GC. However, there are a couple of concerns:
1. if the GC is filed for my current job profile (asst professor, salary 120k), will i be able to transition to fellowship in 3 years (clinical fellow, salary 50K) keeping the GC process active? Since I dont think the EB2 will be done in 3 years

2. is it possible to file for GC for a job in the future.. (asst prof) that I will join after completion of fellowship (which will be 6 yrs from now). and then the transition should be ok?

3. fellowships in this univ are usually only offered on j1 visas but i am hoping that since they will file for my GC, they will allow me to do fellowship on extended H1 as well.

Thanks

Raj

Hello Rajiv,

My husband's charges of second degree assault were fortunately dismissed after I invoked my marital privilege.

Plea: NOT GUILTY
Disposition: JUDGMENT OF ACQUITAL

My question now is that since our case was a domestic violence situation, would that showup in USCIS search on his criminal records and would that hurt his application in any way even though a judgemnt of acquital was made?
Is there anything we should do at this point to prevent possible problems in the naturalization process. Please advice.

Thank you very much
ndhelp

Open container question

Dear Sir,

I am on F1 visa currently on OPT ( h1b visa approved this year in April). I got a ticket for having an open container( open bottle of alcohol) on the road in New york last year. I was not arrested or fingerprinted or photographed,the cop gave me a ticket and i paid the fine as specified. The fine was 25$ and I paid it immediately

I will be going for stamping soon, so what do I need to be mentioning in DS-156 in response to the question

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or similar legal action ? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance (drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes ?"

Because I paid the fine and plead guilty, will i have to answer "yes" to the question, were you ever convicted of a crime ... etc???

I am really getting worried if this would create a problem during stamping and I would be rejected if I say NO and they find out .

Also

If I say " YES", Will I need to go through a Physician Panel test and Liver test as Alcohol is involved.

What would you advise ? Your help would be very much appreciated

FYI:Ticket is under under 10-25(2b) administrative code and not a criminal offense( The ticket also states that this is not a crime).So Should not this be in Par with a traffic ticket. Should a traffic ticket be mentioned as YES in DS-156 . This happened in NYC and I an resident of MA

Confused about Additional information requested

Hi!
I applied N-400 in August. recieved a notice acknowledging reciept and also requesting additional information or evidence. The notice also stated that my case would be suspended until this information has been sent.

A few days later, I recieved a finger prints notice. I am confused. Is the fingerprints notice the "evidence" they requested or did I miss something. If it is not, why would they send me FP notice after saying they would suspend my case? I gave the ALOT of supporting documentation.

Thanks!

Rehema

Dear Sir,
Last year I had a situation where my employer held on to the H1 and H4 for my wife because, the client where I was working, was delaying the payments to the employer. Despite repeated requests and calls, employer refused to give the H1 and H4. When I approached the lawyer, lawyer said that her copies are with the employer as well. At that time I could not do anything as my Green Card was under process and I did not want any -ve impact on that. Since that episode I switched employers under AC21 portability and got my Green Card just a month back. Can you guide me as to where I can report this, and will it have any impact on my Green Card.

Dear Mr.Rajiv,

I signed an employment contract with my previous employer and broke it. I am trying to see what are the consequences of worst-case scenario.
My ex-employer takes me to court, wins the case, I still don't pay ( due to some state laws ), and my ex-employer tarnishes my credit history. Will this affect my green card processing.

I am trying to negotiate with my employer since I had to leave because of horrible work conditions.

I was told that the US Consulate will only look at the criminal charges and that since this is a civil case, it will not affect my green card processing.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Time spent in US required for naturalization?

Hi Rajiv:

Like many on this forum, I appreciate very much you taking the time to do it. I'll make my situation clear and questions concise:

The situation:

I got my green card in May 2007, but by November of the same year, I was required to work outside the country for at least few months at a stretch.

I'd like to file for naturalization as soon as my five years is up, and I'd like to know *how to accumulate enough time in the US* to allow me to do so.

I have total control on when to fly home the states for a break of a month or longer, so I've been flying back every six months or less.

The questions:

1. Will staying outside the country for more than six months at a time during these five years disqualify one for naturalization?

2. I understand a green card holder is required to spend half (30 months) of the five years in the country before applying for naturalization. Can the 30 months be made up for during the latter half of the five years? (I'm approaching the halfway point of my five years.)

3. How soon can I file for naturization? Is it 90 days before the end of five years?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.