Recession and more

labor_replace

Registered Users (C)
Folks

How is this Recession going to effect us. They are saying that it going to be severe. How should we all be prepared. Since we all have EADs...it should not matter much...but should we be concerned on other fronts?

I see your point about EAD folks. Those who got in the 485 in July'07 do not need to worry because they have EADs.
Now, those who missed that boat for whatever reason have this additional thing to be concerned about.
Folks

How is this Recession going to effect us. They are saying that it going to be severe. How should we all be prepared. Since we all have EADs...it should not matter much...but should we be concerned on other fronts?

I am not sure that is entirely true. If there is a massive recession and IT jobs get very scarce, USCIS can start sending out RFEs at anytime, requesting evidence that you are still in a same or similar job. If you can't provide that proof with paystubs, job letter etc then you'll be out of luck. So whilst I take you point that you are better off if you have filed you 485 and 6 months have passed, which allows you some breathing space to find another job etc. I am not sure that, in and of itself will ensure that you can ride out a recession.
Lots of folks in the 2001-2 recession ended up going months or even years out of work. Being on EAD still requires that you be employed in a position listed on you labor certification.

I guess the rule of thumb is that as long as you are at the mercy of a govt agency (or an employer) .be ready for anything including packing your bags and going back.