• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

recent NIGERIAN (DV2006)interview experience

LORDisGood

Registered Users (C)
recent NIGERIAN (DV2006) interview experience

At last(yesterday)had an interview with d consulate in lagos.

Arrived Embassy gate by 640am for my 7am appt. Entered d premises by 710am after security checks at the gate.

Dem no waste time collect $375 from me!
Cashier na 1 unfriendly Nigerian gal. Very very unfriendly!

I got called by 750am to submit my credentials and then sat/waited 5hrs (8am till 1pm) for the interview proper.

It was a long/agonising wait.
Hunger/thirst&cold from dem central A/C just dey hammer me.

A smart/hard & cool but funny white guy interviewed me.

Interview lasted 15mins more or less.

Raised my right hand for oath-swearing.
Then had inkless prints of my Right & left Index fingers taken.
This guy really really grilled me with questions. Some were tricky sha.

Chei wetin im no ask me?

I had to defend my WAEC grades especially in my favourite subject.

Then had to recount/list some of the Year 1-4 courses i studied back in Uni.

Then state my Final Year (Uni) Project topic and briefly talk about it.

And as if those weren't enuff, he asked for my Uni Reg Nr!
Thank God say i remember am as per na wetin i bin use dey write uni exams for 5years+ (adding ASUU strikes)

Asked for my work ID card sef!! Thank God i also had it in my pocket.

In the end sha, i got this Welcome letter and a detachable Slip (Visa Pick-up slip) at the bottom stating i shul come back exactly 31 days later for visa collection and to pay a balance of $380 b4 this collection date.

The consular officer still warned that I should not make any life-changes i.e quit my job, sell my property, buy airticket etc till after i have collected this visa.

My question now na why/wetin dem dey carry the xtra 1 month period dey do again?

Is it possible to still be refused even after paying them the balance of $380??

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see why they have asked you to pay another $385!! If you have paid $755, you should be done with payment (if I'm not wrong).

Your interview was tricky, most interviews are unique in their own way, yours was interesting nevertheless.

I guess they'll be running some finger print-check/ other security checks on you. Thats why you are asked to collect VISA after 1 month and thats why he still thinks that you should not quit your job/take major decisions. Don't worry, it seems that your interview was successful. Wish you the best of luck.

DeVincent thanks for ur encouraging reply.

I havent being asked to pay more than a total sum of $755.

What happens in Nigeria is that one pays $375 1st thing on interview day, then after the interview if successful/deemed eligible (by the interviewing consular officer), then you are asked to pay a balance of $380 on any business day b4 2pm and b4 visa-collection date as contained on the Pick-up slip.

good luck

Your CP process is very weird type. But local consulates have some sort of authority to apply according to the country specifications. Such as for some countries, Affidavit of Support is not at all important. You were given a chance to save the partial cost of the CP.

If you were rejected you would be able to save quite a good amount of money. They may have referred your case for security clearance.

However , congratulations...i guess you have enough time to get your checking cleared.

hi ferdous, thanks for the goodluck wish.
I guess u are right about the "different strokes for different folks" in use for CP in US consulates abroad.
Yea in Nigeria, oftentimes they don't request to see one's Affidavit of Support unless for married couples.
And yea if you fail the interview, you will ofcourse NOT have to pay the outstanding $380 but u will already have lost $375 for a 15minute interview?
That's still painful cos the average Nigerian doesn't earn/make $375 in 15minutes.

Now even when u have succeeded in the consular interview, u won't get to receive your passport till after you have paid the balance of $380 b4 the collection date on ur Pick-up slip.

So one runs a risk of losing all $755 should something go wrong after the interview!

Couple Interview

Has any married couple gone for the DV interview?if yes,I will like to know how it went as I will soon be going for my interview with my husband...and it's so scary here..can someone pls feel me in on this....

Couple Intvw in...?

jrcies hi,
r u asking of/for couple CP interview experience in Nigeria or some other country?

LORDisGood said:
jrcies hi,
r u asking of/for couple CP interview experience in Nigeria or some other country?

I am to go for the interview with my husband...and I am asking, is there anyone with such an experience??? or when you went for your interview did you see any similar case???????

jrcies

jrcies r u Nigerian? i mean is ur interview in Nigeria?.
Why i ask is that what they may ask of Nigerians (during CP interview) will always differ from what they will ask in other countries.

In anycase while i waited for my interview, i saw&heard them (consular officers) quiz different married couples. It's an open hall with the consular officers seated in glass cubicles and talking through the microphones.

Just have as much documents as possible that prove/show you and your husband are legally married.
The 2 of you should rehearse ur story as in how long u dated? how long u have been married? what type(s) of wedding u have had (trado, court and or white wedding), wedding date(s), wedding pictures etc.

Come with Bank statements and Affidavit of Support etc.

Don't panic or show signs of being overly nervous during the interview.

And who is the Primary Applicant/winner? You or your husband?
The Primary Applicant will face more questions anyway.

Do ur best and believe in God that all shul go well.
Best wishes and i hope to read of ur successful interview experience.

what do u think?

while you were there did you witness any other person's interview and how did it go?
am just trying to get the atmosphere in the us consulate in nigeria.

baba Agba

The atmospere in the Lagos consulate is tense sort of.

Tense cos u really dont know
1) how ur interview will go.
2) what sort of questions (plain or loaded/tricky) may be thrown @ u.
3) the mood of the consular officer interviewing u etc.

And u will see and hear other people being interviewed. Hear them being told "they are ineligible" or "they shul come back another day with more documents" or hear them being "congratulated".

On my interview day, i saw a young guy disqualified cos when the interviewer asked if he was married, he answered NO.
the interviewer followed up with question on whether he had children and he answered that he had 2 kids.
Then He got asked the children's ages and he said their ages. They were both under age 16.

Interviewer outrightly disqualified him saying he had breached some INA law that required him to declare (in the forms he returned to KCC) the names of any unmarried children under age of....irrespective of whether they were migrating with u or not.

It's very important to stick to the info u had submitted earlier except ur circumstances changed after u had submitted such info!

thanx

thanx 4 the quick response. ur waec certificate ,did u go and pay at weac and they sent to the embassy?

waec cert?

I did NOT visit the WAEC office in Yaba.

As long as u have the original copy of ur WAEC certificate, dont waste ur time & money going to WAEC office in Yaba to validate anything.

If the embassy so wishes, they can always (using ur cert No) confirm ur WAEC grades with yaba. WAEC is even online now.
So the embassy may either phone or access it online if they need to.

jrcies said:
Has any married couple gone for the DV interview?if yes,I will like to know how it went as I will soon be going for my interview with my husband...and it's so scary here..can someone pls feel me in on this....
there is nothing to be scared of take it easy as long as you got all the documents.the person who won the visa is the one to be interviewed and also you must carry all the documents stated in the letter there wont be any problem good luck

Filling form D230 for a child

Congrats to all those who scaled through.

A winner of Dv 2007.
My Qs are:
1) Can one sign for a baby who is an applicant (the mother won) or is it that the baby's thumb print is used in place of signature?
2) Is it right for others (derivative status) who are not the winner fill their own form D230 and sign it themselves as the applicant?
3) I have read from this site about current cases and it always says Africans ........except Nigeria and Ethiopia. What is this stuff about?

Pls help out.

Tolu from Nigeria.
Can be reached at toluwase321@yahoo.com

Toluwani

Tolu hi,
yea u can sign for a baby when completing the form.

With respect to Current case Nrs & Nigeria/Ethiopia; it only means there is a seperate cut-off nrs for the excluded countries.
for e.g if for the month of Dec 2005 that the Current Nrs for Africa is 7000 (except Nigeria 4500 etc) it means that all African DV winners whose case nrs fall below 7000 are due to be interviewed and that Nigerians with case nrs 4500 and below (i.e 2006AF0000 4500) are up for interviews.

I don't know why the distinction but perhaps it's because Nigerians selected in Africa are a lot. Only numerically 2nd to Ethiopians.

Go look at previous year's stats and u will understand this whole case nr thingy.

Its no big deal.

Goodluck as u prepare for ur intvw

birth cert

sorry i lost my birth certificate and was wondering if i can use the one they collect at the high courts. which one did you use for ur interview?
pls reply

baba agba & birth cert.

I don't know the alternative(s) to BC acceptable to the consulate in Nigeria.

In my case i went with my original birth cert and baptismal cert. And i submittted both to 1 of the embassy admin clerks that attended to me.

If i were to guess, then i'd say if u have ur baptisimal cert, bring it along with this cert ur getting from the high court. What of the cert that is issued by National Population Commission?

But to be on the safe side, try phoning the consulate or if u live in Lagos go there in person to get some info from their Enquiry/Info section

birth cert

I Know they issue birth certificate at high courts but it so easy that you can lie bout ur age so it got me thinkin if it credible. but when the time comes i will go to inquiry at the embassy. i was just wonderin if you have any idea if the birth cert issued at the high court is credible. thanks