Recent Canada visit and experience of picking up the PR card WITHOUT appointment

logicators

Registered Users (C)
All,

I received my 2nd letter to pick up the PR card at the end of June (with an appointment on July 10th). The letter also said that I might have to reapply for the card if I miss the appointment. Since my passport was sent for visa revalidation, I did miss the appointment. In the 2nd week of July, they sent a similar letter for my wife (we applied for the PR cards together) with an appointment on July 28th (this Monday). Since we received our passports last Wednesday, we decided to go to Toronto and pick up her card. Although I missed my own appointment, I decided to take my letter and give it a try (I was not so hopeful as Vault and others said that its not going to work).

We started our trip last Friday and flied from Oakland (California) to JFK, NY. We attended a wedding on Saturday and started driving for Toronto midday on Sunday. NYC had a bad traffic Jam (as usual) and it took us several hours to enter NJ but it wasn’t too bad after that. When we reached the Buffalo / Niagra border, I realized that mapquest directions advised to take the Lewiston bridge which doesn’t have special registration counter and decided to take peace bridge. I had to keep pressing the button to call an INS officer outside the trailer they placed for special registration. When nobody came for a long time, I crossed the freeway and went to the INS office on the other side. After waiting 10-15 minutes, I had a chance to talk to someone who refused to talk to me and asked to go back to the trailer and wait (suckers!). Finally, two officers arrived and processed the departure. The Canadian customs guy was nice and he was amazed when I said that I am coming back after 7 months (I decided not to lie for this trip since I had entry/exit stamps because of special registration). I ended up wasting 1+ hour because of INS and reached Toronto after 11 in the night.

As we were fairly tired, we didn’t make it to the appointment on time (scheduled for 8:30 in the morning) and reached the PR card office at 9:15. My wife’s letter was brown and mine was green in color. Luckily, the Brown counter was free but there were 100+ people waiting on the Green counter. We went to the Brown counter and presented my wife’s letter. The lady inspected her landing paper and asked for a secondary photo ID. She didn’t have a Canadian one (it’s a long story why) so I asked her to present her US University ID. The lady on the counter asked if we have any other ID. My wife presented her California ID and the lady asked if we my wife has a driver’s license or health card from Ontario. I said no and she started thinking for a while. Finally, she started activating the card. In the mean time, I noticed that there was no line on the next counter and asked the guy if I could ask a quick question. He smiled and said yes. I explained that I missed all of my appointments and if there is a way I could get my card instead of re-applying. She asked if its one of my family members on the other counter. After hearing yes, he said that in this case I might be able to help you and asked me to wait. After a few minutes, he surprisingly asked if I want to pick up my PR card on the same day. Happily, I agreed. He informed that it could take a lot of time and if I want to wait that much. I replied that I could wait the whole day if I can get my card J he asked me to stay in the waiting area and not to ask status until somebody calls my name

After about 2.5 hours, a lady called my name and explained that they started a new facility for families that are receiving different appointments for family members. She said sorry to keep me waiting ;) and handed over my card.

Afterwards, we went to the OHIP office and successfully applied for health cards.

On our way back, the INS wasted 2.5 hours to process the special registration (and no, there was no waiting time. I was alone in the office and spent all that time in front of the officer). The officer was a complete idiot and he didn’t have any idea on how to process special registration. He initially wasted 40 minutes and processed a departure instead of arrival. After that, he took another hour in order to figure out how to revert it J. 3-4 other officers were trying to help him but it was fairly useless. Once they figured it out (I started sleeping with my head on his table by that time), they tried to fingure print me. The machine was really dirty and was not getting any fingerprints ;) They spent another 10-15 minutes in cleaning the glass, and finding a bottle of lotion to apply on my finger. The first one they found was empty. Finally, I went out of that mess after 2.5 hours and I was half dead!

All is well that ends well.
logicators

logicators,

Glad to hear that you were able to get your PR card. I guess the CIC office figured out that family members were being given different dates, and have stared a new process which is good. This will help others who were unable to make it. But have to see if this process will be consistent to all, or maybe it was a special case for u :).

The Canada Customs folks at peace bridge are laid back! Thats the reason, when I go to work, I take Lewiston Bridge to enter the US, and Peace Bridge to enter Canada.

Vault,

I think its a consistent process. There was a sikh family in the office with me that received 4 different dates for 5 family members. CIC accomodated them on the same day and they all received their PR cards together at the same time I received mine (interestingly enough, 2 of them didn't even receive their letters but since their cards were already prepared, they were handed over those cards without letters). Offcourse, my case was worst because I already missed 2 dates :)

Another interesting observation was the calculation of 180 days to destroy the card. I figured out that those 180 days doesn't start on the day you mail the application or they receive it, neither on the day of your first appointment. Its actually the day they prepare your card which is offcourse unknown to you :) My application was mailed in January and the 1st appointment was on late March. They said that we would have destroyed your card in August since the card was printed in February.

logicators

logicators,
Congrats on your winning trip to Canada

You sent your visa app to state dept for stamping.. right ?
How long did it take to get the passport back and did you send your application alone or did your wife's also apply for visa with you ? There were some rumours that they no longer stamp visa in the US for people from SR countries.

Thanks

Yes, I did hear those rumors too (infact, two of my friends got refused as well and one of them works for the same company) but I still decided to try. And yes, I applied with my wife. I sent our passports to the state dept. on Apr 14th and received them back last week.

logicators

Originally posted by logicators
All,
We started our trip last Friday and flied from Oakland (California) to JFK, NY. We attended a wedding on Saturday and started driving for Toronto midday on Sunday. NYC had a bad traffic Jam (as usual) and it took us several hours to enter NJ but it wasn’t too bad after that. When we reached the Buffalo / Niagra border, I realized that mapquest directions advised to take the Lewiston bridge which doesn’t have special registration counter and decided to take peace bridge. I had to keep pressing the button to call an INS officer outside the trailer they placed for special registration. When nobody came for a long time, I crossed the freeway and went to the INS office on the other side. After waiting 10-15 minutes, I had a chance to talk to someone who refused to talk to me and asked to go back to the trailer and wait (suckers!). Finally, two officers arrived and processed the departure. The Canadian customs guy was nice and he was amazed when I said that I am coming back after 7 months (I decided not to lie for this trip since I had entry/exit stamps because of special registration). I ended up wasting 1+ hour because of INS and reached Toronto after 11 in the night.
On our way back, the INS wasted 2.5 hours to process the special registration (and no, there was no waiting time. I was alone in the office and spent all that time in front of the officer). The officer was a complete idiot and he didn’t have any idea on how to process special registration. He initially wasted 40 minutes and processed a departure instead of arrival. After that, he took another hour in order to figure out how to revert it J. 3-4 other officers were trying to help him but it was fairly useless. Once they figured it out (I started sleeping with my head on his table by that time), they tried to fingure print me. The machine was really dirty and was not getting any fingerprints ;) They spent another 10-15 minutes in cleaning the glass, and finding a bottle of lotion to apply on my finger. The first one they found was empty. Finally, I went out of that mess after 2.5 hours and I was half dead!

All is well that ends well.
logicators

Hi logicators,
First of all... Thanks a lot. Your info was very helpful.

I have a question (about rental car). I live in Bay Area (San Jose). I am going to land same way like you did. Flying to NY then drive to Toronto and come back there after. Need to do the special registration work as well. Would you please explain if I need to do anything special while making reservation the rental car?
- Is there any issues of taking rental car from USA to CANADA while landing?
- Customs?
- Rental car company?
- Extra fees?
- Extra papers?

Thanks again in advance.
- Niza

Niza,

If you are going to land for the first time, you don't need to worry about getting a special rental car (with Canadian plates). Just get any rental car and present the rental agreement when the Canadian customs person ask for it. No extra fees or extra papers to worry about.

Have a nice trip!
logicators

Logicators,

I have a quick question. I received 2nd letter from CIC. Do I have to take Travel Document from Canadian Embassy to enter canada or can I travel with the Landing Paper??

Thanks
Ravi

mrp2612,

If your landing paper is not marked "Not valid for travel" (and I am sure its not, otherwise you would have received your PR card in mail), you can enter Canada using any method (Air, Car, Rail, Bus etc).

Even if your landing paper is stamped as "Not valid for travel", you can use a rental car or a friend's car to enter Canada. Just don't use a commercial carrier.

Hope that helps,
logicators

Thanks logicators. They did not stamp anything on the landing paper. But on the background, it is embedded as "Not valid for Travel". I am planing to go via Detroit. I heard that those guys are somewhat crack.

mrp2612

Are you going for card pickup or for re-taking of photograph?

Pl do post your border crossing as well cic office experience. My wife also needs to go there for re-taking of photograph. She is still waiting for her second call.
Do you have any information if you miss second call, do they give you a third and final call? and after retaking the photos will they mail or you have to pickup the card?

I am going for retaking photograph. I got a second letter. But I cannot go right now. I would have to reschedule again. yes, they will issue third and final letter. I will post all the experiences. But that will not be now. Sometime in November. They will mail the card. you dont have to pickup.

mrp2612

Thanks a lot for some very quick & useful information. Will you request for a rescheduled date or simply wait for third call ?

I have heard there is a gap of about 90 days between 1st and 2nd call. Any idea how much it would be between 2nd and third?

MRP,

If you are going via Detroit, use a rental car as its allowed to enter Canada on a non-commercial carrier even if your landing paper says 'Not valid for travel'.

Tip: Book your rental at Hertz (on the airport), call them in advance and request a Canadian plated car. They will initially deny buy keep insisting. Tell them that you are a Canadian and you can have problems on the border if you don't get it. If you manage to get a Canadian plated car, folks on the border will most probably think that you are returning home after a short visit :) I did that in December and the guy didn't ask anything at all.

logicators

logicators,

Last time when you went to Canada (your top most post) you also used rented car with US plated Right ?
Please tell us what ques. did canadian folks asked you this time ? especially about car ?
Did they check your passport thoroughly & visas (& stamps etc) ?

thanks in adv.

logicators,

Last time when you went to Canada (your top most post) you also used rented car with US plated Right ?
Please tell us what ques. did canadian folks asked you this time ? especially about car ?
Did they check your passport thoroughly & visas (& stamps etc) ?

thanks in adv.

Thanks Logicators.

Siyyid,

Today I called up CIC (using my friend in canada) and asked for rescheduling. Lady asked me whether I have missed second appointment. I told YES. Then she told me that we dont have to reschedule. Third letter will come in 60-90 days. I think probably my second letter came around 90 days.

truenblue,

Yes, I did use a US plated rental car last month. A Canadian plated car was out of question since I rented from the JFK airport. Still, they didn't create any problems at the border (only asked for the rental agreement) and didn't check our passports for stamps. But be advised that it may be because I didn't lie and informed the Canadian customs guy that I was out of country for 7 months.

logicators

cooldami,

I used my Ontario driver's license as a secondary ID. My wife didn't have a Canadian photo ID so we presented her US Student ID. When the lady asked if we have something else, we presented a California state ID. She asked if we have a Canadian driver's license or health card. I replied that my wife doesn't drive and we didn't apply for a health card yet. She didn't say anything and issued the PR card.

So, you can use a US ID if you don't have a Canadian one.

logicators