Really Urgent - Transit Visa.

DryIce

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am travelling to India Via Paris - Is a Transit visa necessary. It is really urgent now - Please Please reply soon.

Thanks in Advance.

I THINK - it is a big mess :-(

http://www.blonnet.com/iw/2002/04/14/stories/2002041400291003.htm

Financial Daily from THE HINDU group of publications
Sunday, Apr 14, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transit visa on Air France

Passengers on Air France will have to get an airport transit visa if they plan to transit in Paris.

Passengers holding US Visa (student visa, work permits, immigrant visas) in some categories or Schengen visa are exempt.

Passengers who have a confirmed onward ticket or have just one hour connecting time will have to get a visa.

The requirement is in place from March 13 and the visa costs euro 10, that is around Rs 450.

Go the Answer!!

TRANSIT VISA NOT REQUIRED FOR INDIANS HAVING ANY VALID VISA OR AP.

I DID A SEARCH ON "PARIS" IN THIS PORTAL.

THANKS ANYWAY.

dryice,
I am in similar position, planing to travel via paris - emirates airlines. I am using Advance Parole.

I have 22hour transit, DO I NEED TRANSIT VISA?

If it is Air India , you don't

If you are traveling by Air India NewArk - Bombay you don't need a visa because you will not be getting out of the airplane.

GAPeach has posted an important FAX

The Fax is included at this URL. I downloaded it and am carrying with me ( Good thing is that it does not have a Date on it ) :)

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105785

Thank you very much GAPeach.

Cody - I recommend that you contact the France consulate - because if your outbound flight gets delayed by 2 hours, you will be staying for more than a day - and I do not know about that scenario. Also, the france consulate web site sucks.

http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org

A little bit more info to confuse everyone ... from france website:

The following Nationalities require an Airport Transit Visa when transiting through France with a stay of less than 6 hours, when going on to a Non Schengen Country, even if they do not leave the International Zone at the airport; (When the transit/stopover is more then 6 hours you must apply for a Transit Visa)

ATTN : Flights between France and Switzerland (actually to and from Geneva or Basle) are considered domestic. Therefore a regular Transit Visa would be required according to your nationality.

A
Afghanistan
Albania
Angola
B
Bangladesh
Burkina Faso*
C
Cameroon*
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
E
Eritrea
Ethiopia
G
Gambia, The*
Ghana
Guinea*
H
Haïti
I
India*
Irak
Iran
Ivory Coast*
L
Liberia
Libya
M
Mali*
N
Nigeria
P
Pakistan
S
Senegal*
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Syria*

* no Airport Transit Visa is required if holding a valid USA visa in the passport and confirmed airline tickets (no open tickets) for these nationalities only.

However, no Airport Transit Visa is required for holders of USA Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or a valid permanent visa in any of the countries of the European Union or a residence permit in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, the Holy See, San-Marino, Canada or Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those on AP need Transit Visa

According to both Air India and French consulate you need visa if all you have is the AP, and no other valid US visa is stamped on your passport.

Email from Air India:
IF YOU ARE HOLDING A VALID USA VISA ON YOUR PASSPORT AT THE TIME OF TRANSIT, OR HOLD A GREEN CARD (WHITE CARD ONLY) ISSUED ON ARE AFTER 21APR1998 YOU DO NOT NEED A UK OR FRENCH TRANSIT VISA -
HOWEVER IF YOUR VISA ON THE PASSPORT HAS EXPIRED AND YOU ARE HOLDING A VALID PAPER EXTENSION OR PAROLE OR I94 OBTAINED FROM THE USA IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES, OR HOLD A GREEN CARD ISSUED BEFORE APRIL 1998, YOU WILL NEED TO OBTAIN A TRANSIT VISA IF TRAVELLING VIA PARIS OR UK.
THANK YOU

Email from French Consulate:

You are exempt from the Airport Transit Visa to go through any french airport
if;

- you have a valid Green Card (the actual card) and a layover of less than 6 hours in Paris
- you have a valid USA visa pasted in your passport and a layover of less than 6 hours in Paris

If not then you must apply for the Airport Transit Visa, you may get the visa on the spot (2-3 weeks by mail) if you submit all the
correct documents and copies.

See our website for more information, www.consulfrance-newyork.org

FIRST HAND INFO

I went personally to France Consulate -

Final Result: AP holders need Transit Visa even if the transit is for less than 6 hours.

Message from France Consulate by email.

You are exempt from the Airport Transit Visa to go through any french airport if;

- you have a valid Green Card (the actual card) and a layover of less than 6 hours
in Paris
- you have a valid USA visa pasted in your passport and a layover of less than 6
hours in
Paris

The Advance Parole does not make you exempt from the Airport Transit Visa.

If not then you must apply for the Airport Transit Visa, you may get the visa on
the spot
(2-3 weeks by mail) if you submit all the correct documents and copies.

See our website for more information, www.consulfrance-newyork.org .

I just came back from India

Hi friends,

We just came back from India .
We used AP and had NO FRENCH TRANSIT VISA.
We came by AIR INDIA and nobody asked me about Transit visa. They won't let you to go out of the Airplane during stop over in Paris ( 1 - 1 1/2 hours).

Just spoke to AI

If you travel EWR-PARIS-BOM using AP with expired H1B Visa. You do not require a transit visa.

Confirmed with AI Customer Service.

At first she said you don't then she said but "Do you hold a valid visa ?" then i explained to her what an AP was and my H1 Status and then she asked me to hold for a moment and came back with "Sir, you do not require a transit visa to travel via paris."

For confirmation and safety sake i took her full name and have kept it in my notes.

You can confirm the same by calling AI airport office
# 212-751-6200

fyi: i plan to travel mid Feb this route.

Thanks for everyones input

GAPeach

Did u have a Valid Visa stamped in your passport.

Our Visa Expired and we are travelling on Jan 25th Air India, Newark-Paris-Bombay on AP.

Thanks
Parshu