Realistic Time Window for H1B application for OPT candidates

mk23

Hi,

I am on OPT valid till Dec 2005. No grace period taken yet. Havent found any job yet so nobody to sponsor h1b. Now questions:
(a) What is the time window I have to continue looking for job such that I donot get late and the quota doesnot finish. Or How late is safe to file for H1B visa considering all the quota rules.

(b) How does the H1B application procedure works out. The applications open on April 1 and they start giving visas starting Oct 1. Now will they declare somewhere in between April 1 and Oct 1 that the quota is over (in case it does) or they will continue to take all the applications till Oct 1 and announce the status of quota on Oct 1. (Like I remember last year black out was announced on Oct 1). The question is how and when will we coe to know about the quota status and what happens to the applications which are there in pipeline.

I have to take a decision as to how long I can continue my job search and clearly, I am a complete novice in these issues.

Any help in clarifying the basics here will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Please help clarify the basics of H1b after opt

I would request y'all to please help and clarify my points as it will help a lot of people like me who are on opt and looking for jobs. It might look easy to just join a consultant or somebody who is willing to sponsor H1 but that changes the focus completely. The dream with which all the students come to us and pursue graduate studies takes a back seat and you get to do what consultant's job demands.
So for benefit of all such folks, if anybody has any clue that how long can one wait to apply before Oct for 2006 quota after it opens on Apr 1, then please reply.

Thanks,