Real ID Act is expected to become law next month

amtbooks

Registered Users (C)
An article from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-04-25-real-id-act_x.htm

A controversial bill that would require states to verify the citizenship or legal status of anyone applying for a drivers license will likely become law because Senate Democrats don't have the votes to stop it, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said Monday.

Aimed at illegal immigrants, the so-called Real ID Act is expected to be included in a final version of an $81 billion spending bill to fund the war in Iraq, according to Reid, D-Nev. House and Senate lawmakers begin negotiating a final version of the spending bill this week.

Reid and most Democrats had fought for months against the Real ID measure and succeeded in keeping it out of the Senate version of the spending bill. But Reid said Democrats have decided they would not hold up passage of the Iraq war spending bill solely because it includes the Real ID Act.

Republicans "are going to keep the Real ID (Act) on the supplemental," said Reid, who opposes the measure. "They did it on purpose. They put it on the supplemental, which we couldn't stop" because both parties support the additional funds for U.S. troops.

President Bush has pledged to sign the bill into law if the House and Senate can work out their differences.

Forty-one states already require drivers license applicants to document their legal status, but the bill would require states to perform a more extensive verification.

In addition, there would be a uniform license in all states, and states would pay to redesign their licenses.

In the addition to the drivers license provision, the Real ID Act would:

• Make it tougher for foreigners to win political asylum by giving immigration judges more authority to decide the merits of the asylum applications.

• Waive local environmental laws to allow the federal government to complete a 14-mile a fence near San Diego that separates the United States and Mexico.

A diverse collection of more than 600 groups, including immigration advocates, environmentalists, Christian groups and state motor vehicle officials, had rallied in a furious lobbying effort in the Senate to kill the measure.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., the bill's main sponsor, has repeatedly argued that critics of his bill have misconstrued its intent. He said it would combat terror, strengthen national security and improve public safety.

"The goal of the Real ID Act is straightforward," he said. "It seeks to prevent another 9/11-type terrorist attack by disrupting terrorist travel."

Sensenbrenner said potential terrorists today could easily obtain drivers licenses and manipulate the U.S. asylum system to gain legal entry into the United States.

On Tuesday, Sensenbrenner will take part in a news conference with other supporters in Congress and the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a group that advocates stricter immigration laws.

Immigration advocates say the bill is mean-spirited and targets millions of legal immigrants. They said it would prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining a drivers license, forcing them to drive unlicensed and uninsured.

"The real solution is to create incentives (for immigrants) to play by the rules ... and create disincentives to coming illegally," said Christina DeConcini, policy director of the National Immigration Forum.

State officials argue the bill would cost millions of dollars to put into effect and turn state motor vehicle clerks into immigration agents.

Cheye Calvo, an analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures, said the bill would force states to verify the authenticity of passports, green cards, birth certificates and other documents presented by drivers license applicants.

"The requirements are just unworkable," Calvo said.

Nonsense, countered Sensenbrenner, whose bill has 115 co-sponsors in the House.

"American citizens have the right to know who is in their country, that people are who they say they are, and that the name on the drivers license is the real holder's name, not some alias," he said.

Calvo noted that states and federal officials already are working together to create uniform standards for issuing drivers licenses, as recommended by the independent commission that studied the circumstances leading up to the 2001 terrorist attacks.

I hope this passes since this is our only chance to get the GC faster.Even though I get my gc this year or next, I feel bad for ppl who are waiting long...But then i think of the asylum seekers who would not benefit from the freedom of this country...

Well let me talk like Shamson for a minute...Those Xenophobic Senators in the Senate just want to show us a fake sense of security by passing this bill. The hypocrites in the senate are just looking out for their own cause..

..Sigh!..

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be excellent news for present and future asylees, not to mention the integrity of the asylum system.

But I do not want to celebrate too early.

amtbooks said:
An article from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-04-25-real-id-act_x.htm

A controversial bill that would require states to verify the citizenship or legal status of anyone applying for a drivers license will likely become law because Senate Democrats don't have the votes to stop it, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said Monday.

Aimed at illegal immigrants, the so-called Real ID Act is expected to be included in a final version of an $81 billion spending bill to fund the war in Iraq, according to Reid, D-Nev. House and Senate lawmakers begin negotiating a final version of the spending bill this week.

Reid and most Democrats had fought for months against the Real ID measure and succeeded in keeping it out of the Senate version of the spending bill. But Reid said Democrats have decided they would not hold up passage of the Iraq war spending bill solely because it includes the Real ID Act.

Republicans "are going to keep the Real ID (Act) on the supplemental," said Reid, who opposes the measure. "They did it on purpose. They put it on the supplemental, which we couldn't stop" because both parties support the additional funds for U.S. troops.

President Bush has pledged to sign the bill into law if the House and Senate can work out their differences.

Forty-one states already require drivers license applicants to document their legal status, but the bill would require states to perform a more extensive verification.

In addition, there would be a uniform license in all states, and states would pay to redesign their licenses.

In the addition to the drivers license provision, the Real ID Act would:

• Make it tougher for foreigners to win political asylum by giving immigration judges more authority to decide the merits of the asylum applications.

• Waive local environmental laws to allow the federal government to complete a 14-mile a fence near San Diego that separates the United States and Mexico.

A diverse collection of more than 600 groups, including immigration advocates, environmentalists, Christian groups and state motor vehicle officials, had rallied in a furious lobbying effort in the Senate to kill the measure.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., the bill's main sponsor, has repeatedly argued that critics of his bill have misconstrued its intent. He said it would combat terror, strengthen national security and improve public safety.

"The goal of the Real ID Act is straightforward," he said. "It seeks to prevent another 9/11-type terrorist attack by disrupting terrorist travel."

Sensenbrenner said potential terrorists today could easily obtain drivers licenses and manipulate the U.S. asylum system to gain legal entry into the United States.

On Tuesday, Sensenbrenner will take part in a news conference with other supporters in Congress and the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a group that advocates stricter immigration laws.

Immigration advocates say the bill is mean-spirited and targets millions of legal immigrants. They said it would prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining a drivers license, forcing them to drive unlicensed and uninsured.

"The real solution is to create incentives (for immigrants) to play by the rules ... and create disincentives to coming illegally," said Christina DeConcini, policy director of the National Immigration Forum.

State officials argue the bill would cost millions of dollars to put into effect and turn state motor vehicle clerks into immigration agents.

Cheye Calvo, an analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures, said the bill would force states to verify the authenticity of passports, green cards, birth certificates and other documents presented by drivers license applicants.

"The requirements are just unworkable," Calvo said.

Nonsense, countered Sensenbrenner, whose bill has 115 co-sponsors in the House.

"American citizens have the right to know who is in their country, that people are who they say they are, and that the name on the drivers license is the real holder's name, not some alias," he said.

Calvo noted that states and federal officials already are working together to create uniform standards for issuing drivers licenses, as recommended by the independent commission that studied the circumstances leading up to the 2001 terrorist attacks.

War bill shields I.D. Act from ax

Another article in washington times today...

War bill shields I.D. Act from ax
By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published April 26, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said yesterday that Democrats will have to accept the Real I.D. Act -- written by House Republicans to limit asylum claims and crack down on illegal immigrants obtaining driver's licenses -- as part of the final emergency war-spending bill.
Negotiators are trying to hammer out a compromise between the Senate's $81 billion supplemental spending bill and the House's $81.4 billion version this week. House Republicans have said they will insist the immigration security provisions remain in the bill.
Mr. Reid, Nevada Democrat, said his party will not be able to stop them.
"They did it on purpose," he told reporters yesterday. "They put it on a supplemental which they knew you couldn't stop. I've had a senator come to me and say, 'We're going to filibuster this.' I said, 'Get real. It's not going to happen. It's a defense bill.' "
The provisions passed the House in February as the Real I.D. Act, 261-161, and were then rolled into the emergency spending bill for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The same provisions were originally in the intelligence overhaul bill that passed the House last year, but Senate negotiators balked at including them in the final intelligence bill.
Under Real I.D.'s provisions, the secretary of Department of Homeland Security could waive laws in border areas, allowing completion of a section of border fence near San Diego; judges would have more discretion in deciding asylum petitions; and the categories of those who can be deported for association with terrorist groups would be expanded.
But the most wide-ranging provision would set standards for government-issued IDs. The standards would include ensuring the holder is legally present in the United States. The 10 states that don't meet those standards would not be forced to change, but residents could not use their IDs for federal purposes such as boarding an airplane.
The Senate has never voted on Real I.D.
During the debate on the spending bill, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, wanted to offer an amendment putting the Senate on record opposing the measure, but her amendment fell outside the narrow rules for amendments.
Sen. Johnny Isakson, Georgia Republican and a supporter of the measure, was prepared to offer an amendment with the provision, but decided against it after Mrs. Feinstein's amendment was ruled out of order. He said his goal was to make sure the provisions end up in the final bill.
Opponents, including immigrant rights advocates such as the National Council of La Raza, said the Senate would have defeated Mr. Isakson's amendment if it had come up for a vote.
In a letter to Mr. Reid last week, Mrs. Feinstein asked that he work to keep Real I.D. out of a final agreement.
"The Senate has not been afforded the opportunity to consider, debate and amend the bill. I believe it is important to follow the regular order and permit the Senate Judiciary Committee to, in bipartisan manner, evaluate the merits of this complex legislation," she said.
Another group of senators, including two Democrats and two Republicans, also wrote a letter opposing the driver's license provisions in particular. They said states will have a difficult time implementing the standards and called it an unfunded mandate.
Mr. Reid said he, too, opposes Real I.D.
"It's a terrible piece of legislation," he said, calling it a piecemeal approach to immigration.
While lacking the Real I.D. provisions, the Senate bill did include funding for hundreds of border patrol agents and an amendment to allow more temporary seasonal workers than the 66,000-per-year cap. But the chamber defeated a plan that would have given a multistep path to citizenship for up to 1 million illegal agriculture workers and their families.

porkman said:
Don't become excited too early--nowhere the asylee cap removal is mentioned in both articles!!
Exactly. I said this before and will say it again: It is a bait!

Tightening up the asylum law and lifting the cap are very contradictory actions. I wouldn't expect congress to vote for such a "paradoxical" bill. I would assume they would exculde the latter from the bill. I am not trying to be "devil advocate". I would be the first person to jump 10 feet high if they lift the cap, but I know by instinct that this won't happen.

The purpose of the cap is to discourage fake asylees to seek residence in the states easily, which is publicly acknowledged by congress. They claimed the condition to lift the cap is to limit the number of people who could grant asylum status.

So tightening up the asylum application and lifting the cap is no so contradictory at all.

HI everyone.
I did not see anything on this article concerning lifting the cap for asylee.
Thank-you

there is "removal of cap" provision in the law

As I read through the Real ID Act of 2005 approved by House and sent to Senate, it contains the provision:

H.R. 418

f) Removal of Caps- Section 209 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1159) is amended--

(1) in subsection (a)(1)--

(A) by striking `Service' and inserting `Department of Homeland Security'; and

(B) by striking `Attorney General' each place such term appears and inserting `Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General';

(2) in subsection (b)--

**(A) by striking `Not more' and all that follows through `asylum who--' and inserting `The Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General, in the Secretary's or the Attorney General's discretion and under such regulations as the Secretary or the Attorney General may prescribe, may adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence the status of any alien granted asylum who--'; and

(B) in the matter following paragraph (5), by striking `Attorney General' and inserting `Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General'; and

A new development yesterday which is very encouraging.
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/04/27/sections/nation_world/nation_world/article_496580.php

WASHINGTON – A White House letter of support issued Tuesday and comments by the Senate Democratic leader all make it likely that a measure that would virtually eliminate the ability of illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses will be part of the final Iraq supplemental spending bill.

"The administration strongly urges the conferees to include the Real ID Act of 2005 in the final version of the bill," Joshua Bolton, director of the administration's Office of Management and Budget, said in a letter to congressional appropriations leaders. "This important legislation will strengthen the ability of the United States to protect against terrorist entry into and activities within the United States.''

The House's version of the spending bill includes the Real ID Act while the Senate one does not. That and other differences in the measures will be hashed out in a conference committee.

The White House letter came a day after Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid told reporters that there was little chance of preventing the immigration measure from being attached to the Iraq spending bill.

"It's only a question of when," Reid said. "A senator came into my office and said, 'I want to filibuster this,' and I said, 'Get real.' "

Reid's office made it clear Tuesday that he opposes the Real ID Act but wasbeing realistic about the chances of the House agreeing to strip it from its version of the Iraq bill. It would be difficult, aides said, to get the Senate to turn down a spending bill for the troops, even with an immigration measure many oppose.

"We have reached the turning point," Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Huntington Beach, said to the applause and cheers of a group of citizen lobbyists who are spending this week on Capitol Hill, knocking on lawmakers doors calling for a crackdown on illegal immigration.

"Had the Real ID act been in effect prior to 9/11," said Rep. Ed Royce, R-Fullerton, two of the hijackers, including one who piloted the plane that hit the Pentagon, would not have been able to get a driver's license and board a U.S. plane.

While the administration had voiced its support when the Real ID passed the House, opponents of the bill had hoped President George W. Bush would lay low on this matter when it went to a House-Senate conference.

"The president had done a lot to elevate this debate," said Angela Kelley, deputy director of the National Immigration Forum, a pro-immigration group. "For him to turn around and bear hug this set of punitive measures that is going to do nothing to enhance our security is really quite breathtaking."

hampton8844 said:
Great News. I am happy.

What's so great? Not a single word about cap's elimination. Just imagine if they pass the bill making almost impossible to get aylum and still leaving the cap!!!

Minsk said:
What's so great? Not a single word about cap's elimination. Just imagine if they pass the bill making almost impossible to get aylum and still leaving the cap!!!

The removal of the cap has been in the bill since the House passed the REAL ID Act. For good measure I just called a buddy on the Judiciary Committee staff and they confimed it is there.

you have a buddy in the senate?? who is the senator buddy of yours??Are you for real? Please dont BS cuz you play with people's emotions here...

hampton8844 said:
The removal of the cap has been in the bill since the House passed the REAL ID Act. For good measure I just called a buddy on the Judiciary Committee staff and they confimed it is there.

Good if so! But we still need to remember that they make rules striker for people who will apply in the future and it's very sad.

wantmygcnow said:
you have a buddy in the senate?? who is the senator buddy of yours??Are you for real? Please dont BS cuz you play with people's emotions here...

NOT a senator, but a few staff members. Refer to my old posts, I work at a political consulting firm on K street. So knowing a few people on capitol hill should not come as a surprise. part of my daily job.