Ready for filing N400 but lastname on GC and passport don't match

ndsufish

Registered Users (C)
- I entered US in 2000 on F-1 visa.
- Got married in 2001 and filed for GC along with husband(ex)
- Got divorced in 2003. Ex-husband tried to cancel my GC petition as soon as he filed for divorce, but looks like it was already approved and I got my GC even before divorced was finalized by court.
- The last name on my passport is my original lastname from before marriage and that is what I used everywhere (SSN, work, banks etc etc).
- The lastname on my GC is from my ex-husband's last name. I never changed name legally after marriage but I guess the change on GC happened because of how GC application was filed by my ex-husband.
- I have entered US several times since then on GC & passport with this name difference and was never an issue at Port of Entry.

Now after 5 yrs of getting GC, I want to file for N-400. What should I do about this name problem?

Any advise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Id the GC is the only anomaly then perhaps you can get the replacement card with the correct name. I don't know how long it will take though. Divorced women do go back to the maiden names so you are better off having all the paperwork using the same name.
The GC is an integral part of the n400 process and the IO will ask for it during the interview.

I believe if you have the signed and certified divorce decree, you can go back to your maiden name. I personally do not see a problem with this, as you can prove that you took your ex-husband's last name as your own during the GC process. Lots of women change their name when they get married by using the marriage certificate as a legal document showing the name change and the divorce decree serves the same in reverse. In other words, it proves you've gone back to your legal name (if you wish) because you are no longer married.

However, you other option would be to request a name change back to your maiden name on the N-400. I'd say don't waste your money on applying for a new GC and just apply for the N-400. This can easily be explained and rectified during the interview.

Id the GC is the only anomaly then perhaps you can get the replacement card with the correct name. I don't know how long it will take though. Divorced women do go back to the maiden names so you are better off having all the paperwork using the same name.
The GC is an integral part of the n400 process and the IO will ask for it during the interview.

I believe if you have the signed and certified divorce decree, you can go back to your maiden name. I personally do not see a problem with this, as you can prove that you took your ex-husband's last name as your own during the GC process. Lots of women change their name when they get married by using the marriage certificate as a legal document showing the name change and the divorce decree serves the same in reverse. In other words, it proves you've gone back to your legal name (if you wish) because you are no longer married.

However, you other option would be to request a name change back to your maiden name on the N-400. I'd say don't waste your money on applying for a new GC and just apply for the N-400. This can easily be explained and rectified during the interview.

Thanks both of you for your replies.
I guess I will go with what LolaLi suggested and handle the situation at time of interview. N-400 provides provision for current name and name of green card in Part-1 of the form under section A and B, so will fill that. I guess I will keep section C empty, as I have never used name other than the two mentioned in my situation. Question is what should be entered in section D? My guess, I will say "Yes" to the question and enter my current legal lastname(same as before marriage).

Sounds about right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
LolaLi - I read more about this and found what you said is the best and the right way. Divorce decree actually mentions restoring original lastname, so put current name in 1 A, name on GC in 1B and keep 1C and 1D blank. Rest can be explained at interview.