Read carefully - new BCIS policy for EAD renewal

we were told by our lawyer that my husband could only carry on working with a valid h1b if ead expired so we had no choice but to renew the h1b ( lawyer charged us $ 3300 - which we had to pay out of pocket) - I think the immigration lawyers are paying the BCIS people to process things as slowly as possible - its in their financial interests for BSIS to be slow !! We have now applied for new ead ( chose to do it ourselves as lawyer wanted another $ 500 to fill out that simple form !!!!)

what if somebody re-entered US on AP? then his H-1B is voided. what happens in that case? a dead end?

the_card,

Entering on AP does not void H1-B. But if you start working on EAD then you have to enter the country on AP. While you can enter on H1-B even in that case, it might be construed as abandonment of AOS.

This thread is actually a terrific discussion. I do hope someone can post some definitive answers. It is such a funny catch 22 situation, can't help but laugh at the BCIS.

I am surprised this kind of thing hasn't been faced by people before us. Or was it that this is the slowest processing of AOS has ever been?

i thought AP is only valid with employment authorization, which is actually EAD. anyways, let's say somebody is working on EAD. and he got trapped by this no EAD situation. it's ok if he just can't work but can still get his green card. but what if INS gives his an interview and say, hey, you have a gap in employment. you are denied. is that possible?