Read carefully - new BCIS policy for EAD renewal

GC012002

Registered Users (C)
From www.immigration-law.com

Delay of EAD Processing and BCIS Policy

People who have applied for EAD renewal must have noticed that they typically received a RFE asking to submit the government issued photo IDs. This plus other factors have caused a substantial delay in processing of EADs lately.

According to the AILA, it will be the BCIS policy not to back date the EAD validity date when they issue a renewal EAD card. This policy presents a serious problem for a large number of aliens who are working on EAD, such as the family-based I-485 filers, and the employment-based EB-485 filers who are not working on employment-visa status such as H, L, E, O, TN, etc. Legally, should the Service Center fail to issue a new card within 90 days from the date of EAD application filing, people are allowed to go the local field offices for issuance of Interim EAD cards. However, the reality does not always work like that. Some district offices take time to process such interim EAD cards.

Since the gap between the old and new cards creates a period of lack of employment authorization, any employment during this period can be considered an unauthorized employment. Such violation of immigration laws pending I-485 can make such alien ineligible for adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident.

It is thus imperative that people start filing EAD renewal a way in advance, something like four (4) months, so that they do not face such risk in the green card track.

I don't know about this policy. But trying to be oversmart I applied my Renewal 6 months back. Here is the details
1st EAD valid till June, 03
2nd Ead applied in Jan 03 (just to be safeside)

Got the new EAD valid from Mar 03 to Mar 04, What a policy.

Hope you will be carefull on this, apply only 4 months back but no less than 100 days.

Hi Amit1971,

I thought we can submit for renewal only four months before the first card expires. If we do it before i thought they would return the application & ask us to file 100 days before the expiry of the first EAD

1Q)what all documents did u enclose with the application?

2Q) Did u'r lawyer do the filing for you??

3Q) Did u have any change of Address or change ofemployer issue between the first EAD & the second EAD???

100 days, 3 months, or 6 months????

Which one is correct: 100 days, 3 months, or 6 months?

Document list for EAD renewals:

1. Receipt of I-485
2. Photocopy of previous EAD - both sides
3. I-797D (the top part of paper on which EAD card was
was attached)
4. Marriage certificate (for derivative only)
5. A check of $120.00
6. I -765 Renewal Application
7. A copy of Form I-94
8. I-140 approval Receipt notice