Re-entry into US after being out for < 1yr

gcnotez

Registered Users (C)
Wife and I got GC in May 2004. Moved to India in Feb 2005 after applying
for Re-entry permit (joined HQ in California, transferred to India)

1. We are transferring back to headquarters in California. We will be relocating
and travelling some time in December, 2005. As it is less than 1 year
outside of US, I assume that we will not be needed to show/use the
re-entry permit, but just the green card would suffice. Is this true?

2. What are the other documents that we will need to
carry and what questions are likely to be asked at the
port of entry (SFO) as we have stayed for more than
180 days but less than 1 year?

3. Is it necessary or useful to get a letter from Employer stating that I
started off at their US office, got transferred to their India office and I am
being transferred back to US after a temporary stay in India?

4. Also, is there a chance for rejection of re-entry
on any basis? Is it a good idea for all of us (my
wife, son [a US citizen] and I) to travel together, so
that we either all enter US together or not based on
re-entry result?

Any help would be appreciate. Also, if possible please post your re-entry experiences if applicable.

--gcnotez.

Thanks

JoeF,
Thanks for your comments. My lawyer is also saying the same thing essentially. She is also asking me to carry tax returns copy, valid Driver's license, proof of US address, bank a/c info. to show in case they ask for possible ties to US. She mentioned that getting a letter from employer would also serve as a good backup in case they ask more about reason for prolonged stay.

--gcnotez.

I guess people (mostly from Indian origin) are becoming extra smart to show proofs. Whether it is for re-entry, green card, finger prints or citizenship interview. It is O.K to be prepared for any eventuality. But providing or carrying more than the required documents create panic to other members and most important thing is CREAE WRONG PRECEDENCE. I have seen lots of such cases practically where some people provide some extra proof which is ABSOLUTELY NOT REQUIRED. Then the authorities ask other also to produce the same kind of proofs. This is not an exageration but naked truth.

Ironically most of these extra smart people are highly educated and know every thing about rules and procedures. But they are too scared and too obsessed. I may not be using the correct words as I am not expert in English. I hope you understand what I meant.

In the present situation, the individual who initiated this question, I guess is higly talented and educated. But if one has a valid re-entty permit, why in the world one needs so many proofs. By carrying or showing too many proofs,
the VERY PURPOSE OF RE-ENTRY PERMIT IS DEFEATED AND ALSO WE ARE CREATING A BAD PRECEDENCE.

Please, please, please do not tell me all those stories about the hurdles and sufferings to get the GC, citizenships etc. Life itself is a struggle. Let us be realistic and try to create a good precedence. Let us not give spoon feed the authotities with too much information which is NOT AT ALL REQUIRED.

asirvang,

you are partially right.....

Its always better to carry extra proof, and show only if they are asked. There are some crazy officers, who may cause unneccessary problem by asking so many stuff...its better to be prepared than feeling sorry for not carrying them.

Agreed

I agree with you that it is too much on the safer side. Hey, but I don't want to be standing in the airport scratching my head on how to get a document. I am a totally safe playing person.

BTW, I am reasonably educated and intelligent - but not the whizkid round the block that you might be imagining. Just want a safe passage across the gate.

Also, I had a nightmarish experience once when we went to Vancouver and returned via road@Seattle. The immigration officers practically searched every page of my passport/advance parole, et al. They asked me weird questions as to what is the local football team, etc. If you are not a safe player, you place your own bets, I'm not game.

That said I appreciate your honest comments. I will definitely not be showing all and sundry documents unless asked to produce.